• Arya News AgencyEnglish
    • خبرگزاری آریافارسی
    • وکالة آریا للأنباءالعربیه
Sunday, August 23, 2026
  • Home
  • Iran
    • World
      • Economy
        • Sports
          • Technology
            • Archive
            World

            Trump seeks to block the BBC’s attempt to subpoena Ivanka Trump, Trump Jr

            Saturday, August 22, 2026 - 21:53:44
            Trump seeks to block the BBC’s attempt to subpoena Ivanka Trump, Trump Jr
            Arya News - While lawyers for the US president argue the subpoenas are ‘cynical’, the BBC says they could help shine light on a $10bn defamation case.

            United States President Donald Trump has called on a federal court to deny a motion by the BBC to subpoena members of his immediate family, as part of a $10bn lawsuit over a documentary the broadcaster aired.
            On Friday, lawyers for Trump argued that the BBC had embarked on a “politically charged discovery campaign” by seeking to compel testimony from Trump’s eldest son Donald Trump Jr, his first daughter Ivanka Trump and his son-in-law Jared Kushner.
            Recommended Stories
            list of 3 items list 1 of 3 Editor of US newspaper Stars and Stripes reportedly fired under Trump list 2 of 3 Trump administration subpoenas New York Times reporters over coverage list 3 of 3 ABC News says FCC is carrying out intimidation campaign to shape coverage end of list Trump’s team appealed to the court to reject the BBC’s motion, comparing it to a fishing expedition that goes beyond the scope of the case.
            “This case concerns a narrow wrong — the BBC’s deliberate splicing together of two passages of President Trump’s January 6, 2021, speech spoken nearly fifty-five minutes apart,” Friday’s court filing said.
            “Rather than litigate that narrow claim, the BBC has attempted to pursue a sweeping investigation disguised as discovery.”
            The case began in December, when Trump announced he would sue the BBC over an episode of the documentary series Panorama, which chronicled the Republican leader’s path to a second term as president.
            Part of the documentary focuses on the events of January 6, 2021, the day the results of the 2020 election were to be certified. Trump had lost that election but ly claimed his defeat was the result of fraud.
            At a speech in front of the White House on that day, he repeated the unfounded accusation that the election had been “rigged” to a rally of his supporters, some of whom participated in an attack on the US Capitol in the hours afterwards.
            The Panorama episode included snippets from Trump’s speech, and critics argued that two sentences from his address had been edited together to sound like one continuous quote.
            The first line was: “After this, we’re going to walk down, and I’ll be there with you, we’re going to walk down.” The second came from later in the speech: “And we fight. We fight like hell.”
            Though the BBC apologised for the editing and took the Panorama episode down from its platforms, Trump nevertheless filed a multibillion-dollar lawsuit accusing the broadcaster of defamation.
            The BBC has denied that charge and pledged to fight the lawsuit in court. The case is currently being heard before the US district court in southern Florida.
            As part of its defence, the BBC has sought testimony from figures close to Trump, to establish his thoughts and actions on the day of the January 6 attack.
            It pointed out that both Donald Trump Jr and Ivanka Trump were present at their father’s speech, and that they spoke to the president and his inner circle as the violence erupted at the Capitol.
            Text messages released by the US Congress show Donald Trump Jr urged his father’s chief of staff to “condemn this shit. Asap”, a fact cited in the BBC’s motion.
            While Kushner was not present at the White House, the BBC maintains that his role as Trump’s adviser would also help establish the facts of that day.
            Lawyers for the broadcaster say that, after speaking with congressional leaders, Kushner drafted “a proposed statement” for Trump to present, “which would have condemned the use of violence”.
            The testimony of Trump Jr, Ivanka Trump and Kushner can help illustrate the president’s “burden to prove that it would be materially to imply that he incited violence on January 6”, according to the BBC’s motion.
            But, the motion added, the BBC has been unable to serve the three family members with subpoenas due to the presence of their US Secret Service protection.
            The BBC reportedly attempted to deliver subpoenas to Ivanka Trump and Kushner at their residence in May, only to face Secret Service agents who said they were not authorised to accept the documents.
            Likewise, that same month, the BBC was unable to hand Trump Jr a subpoena at Trump Tower in New York. It has therefore asked the court for permission to use certified mail to deliver the documents instead.
            But in Friday’s court filing, Trump’s lawyers accused the BBC of carrying out a “cynical” campaign that involved the “harassment of the President’s family, associates, staff, officials, and others”.
            It also called the BBC’s efforts “a boundless re-investigation of the events that occurred on January 6, 2021”.
            The filing suggests that any interactions involving Ivanka Trump and Kushner are “subject to the executive privilege” of the presidency, since the husband-wife duo served as adviser and senior adviser to Trump, respectively.
            Trump has made sweeping claims to executive privilege throughout his two terms in office.
            Just this month, the US Department of Justice issued a memo saying such privilege shielded communication even with private advisers who worked outside the executive branch, effectively declaring interactions with companies and private individuals off-limits for subpoenas.
            Critics fear the memo will be a hurdle to government transparency under Trump — and may even prevent Congress from accessing investigative materials.
            Senator Adam Schiff of California framed the memo as an insurance policy against congressional oversight, should the Republican Party lose its majorities in Congress during November’s midterm elections.
            “This latest opinion should be seen as a partisan measure to insulate the president and his corrupt activities from Congressional subpoenas when the majority flips,” he wrote in a statement on August 11.
            The federal court in southern Florida has yet to rule on the BBC’s subpoena requests.
            The BBC, meanwhile, has sought to have the entire case tossed , on the basis that Trump is attempting to dampen free speech.

            Short Link:
            News Code:
            Member Code:

            More News
            Pakistan PM directs petroleum minister to hold talks with oil refineries for reducing diesel prices
            Pakistan PM directs petroleum minister to hold talks with oil refineries for reducing diesel prices
            Iran’s hardline parliament raises concerns with ‘foreign infiltration’ plan
            Iran’s hardline parliament raises concerns with ‘foreign infiltration’ plan
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            • More News
            • Real Madrid beat Espanyol 2-1 in Jose Mourinho’s first game on return
            • Israeli army and settlers injure several Palestinians across West Bank
            • US Postal Service shares mail-in ballot restrictions despite court ruling
            • Iran grants permission for some Iraqi oil tankers to pass through Hormuz
            • Iran Says US `Economic Warfare` Is a `Recipe for Return to Colonialism`
            • Carney: Canada will enact retaliatory US tariffs starting September 8
            • Israeli strikes kill two and injure others as Gaza attacks continue
            • Envoy says Israel did not give the US notice before strikes on Syrian base
            • Iran Rolls Out Offensive Strategy in Face of US Threat
            • Russia Presses On with Attacks on Ukrainian Drone Positions, Ports, and Vessels
            • Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
            • Seven killed, including two police officers, in UK ‘wrong-side’ car crash
            • ‘Not a small issue’: People deported by US to Liberia face uncertain future
            • Armed men kidnap dozens in attacks on Nigerian villages
            • Trump seeks to block the BBC’s attempt to subpoena Ivanka Trump, Trump Jr
            • South Korea sending first container ship through Arctic route
            • Elche vs Barcelona: La Liga – prediction, team news, lineups
            • Over 100 ex-diplomats urge France, UK to sanction Israel over Palestine
            • What did war with the US reveal about Iran’s weapons capabilities?
            • Israeli drone strike on ‘civilian vehicle’ injures several in Syria
            • Russian Strikes Cripple Ukrainian Airfield and Key Infrastructure
            • Russian Strikes on Targets in Ukraine Are Effective and Timely - Putin
            • Russia Hammers Logistics Hub in Kiev and Kiev Region in Overnight Strike - MoD
            • West Erases Its Own Globalization Principles with Sanctions on Russia - Lavrov
            • Man Utd humiliated at Hull to open Premier League account


              خبرگزاری آریا

              "Arya News Agency" is an official and independent Iranian news agency with the slogan "Transparent, honest and professional movement in information dissemination."

              Join with Us:

              Sunday, August 23, 2026
              News Groups:
              • Iran
              • World
              • Economy
              • Sports
              • Technology
              Arya Group:
              • مرکز مطالعات استراتژیک آریا
              • شرکت سرزمین هوشمند آریا
              • انتشارات پیشگامان اندیشه آریا
              © - Arya News Agency
              About us| Contact us| RSS| Links| Advanced search