• Arya News AgencyEnglish
    • خبرگزاری آریافارسی
    • وکالة آریا للأنباءالعربیه
Sunday, August 23, 2026
  • Home
  • Iran
    • World
      • Economy
        • Sports
          • Technology
            • Archive
            World

            Canada to hit US with retaliatory tariffs as trade war escalates

            Sunday, August 23, 2026 - 06:35:43
            Canada to hit US with retaliatory tariffs as trade war escalates
            Arya News - Mark Carney says Canada will impose tariffs starting September 8 on imports of US steel, electronics and other products.

            Canada’s Prime Minister Mark Carney has announced retaliatory tariffs on the United States after Washington imposed a 50 percent levy on $20bn worth of Canadian goods.
            Carney, speaking in Ottawa on Saturday, said the new Canadian tariffs would target US steel, dairy and electronics industries among others and take effect on September 8.
            Recommended Stories
            list of 3 items list 1 of 3 How will Trump’s tariffs affect Canada’s economy? list 2 of 3 US imposes 50 percent tariffs on $20bn in Canadian goods after talks fail list 3 of 3 Europe, Canada condemn Israeli plans for new West Bank settlement end of list “Canada will match Washington’s new tariffs dollar for dollar in order to protect Canadian workers, farmers, families, and businesses,” Carney told reporters.
            The announcement came after days of intense negotiations broke down late on Friday, worsening a delicate relationship between the longtime trade partners and allies.
            US President Donald Trump’s new tariffs hit sectors including wine, furniture, dairy products, cement, clothing, fishing rods and hockey equipment, and cover some $20bn worth of goods, or 5.5 percent of Canadian exports to the US.
            Carney said Trump set conditions that were ultimately unacceptable even though earlier talks had been positive.
            “In recent days, the United States proposed new terms that were uneconomic, unfair and undermined the net benefits for Canada, and called into question the reliability of any deal,” Carney said, adding these demands included curtailing Canada’s ability to forge new trade deals.
            “We cannot accept what they’ve offered, and we will not give what they’ve asked.”
            He added that US negotiators also made unacceptable “threats” to the French language and “Quebec culture”, referring to the French-speaking province in eastern Canada.
            No new talks planned
            Carney is one of the few global leaders to retaliate against US tariffs and has pledged to forge new trade and military alliances, despite Canada’s dependence on the ‌US for nearly 70 percent of its exports.
            Canada will impose tariffs on US steel, dairy, appliances, agricultural equipment, pulp and paper, and electronics, along with some products the US previously targeted in Canada, Carney said from Ottawa’s Parliament building. The government will release details on its response in the coming days, he said.
            Carney said Canada would announce support measures next week for industries hit ⁠by the new US duties, adding these measures could last years.
            There was no immediate comment from the White House.
            US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told Fox News on Saturday that no new ⁠talks are planned with Canada.
            “We’re moving forward with measures that respond to Canadian retaliation,” Greer said. “They’ve always had the best deal, and they still would have an even better deal, but they didn’t want that.”
            The new US tariffs are expected to have a major impact on Canada’s economy.
            “Costs are going to go up, prices are going to go up, unemployment is going to go up as well,” said Al Jazeera’s David Mercer, reporting from the Canadian city of Calgary. “And it’s been warned that business owners – small [and] medium-sized businesses – some of those will have to declare bankruptcy,” he said.
            At the same time, Mercer said, Carney is selling the trade war as an opportunity for Canada to strengthen its trade relations with other countries.
            “He’s been around the world, he’s been talking to countries in Asia, in Europe, shoring up new trade relationships, wanting to diversify Canada’s economy and Canada’s trade relationships with other countries around the world just to get away from that dependency that Canada has traditionally had on the United States,” he said.
            Public opinion surveys in Canada show most Canadians back a “tougher approach” to the US in the trade talks. A poll by Leger last week said 56 percent of Canadians favoured a hard line and making no more concessions.
            ‘Bad deal’
            Ontario Premier Doug Ford, one of the most vocal ⁠opponents of US tariffs, supported Carney’s decision to retaliate.
            “I’m glad he didn’t sign that deal because it was a bad deal. It was a bad deal for Ontario. It was a bad deal for the auto sector, the steel sector, and manufacturing sector,” Ford told reporters on Saturday.
            In Port Colborne, Ontario, resident Stuart Edwards said the trade war was going to “hurt everybody” and “it’s just sad”.
            “We have a bully in Washington, and he’s just hitting us all with the big stick all the time,” he said. “And we’re not going to put up with it; Canada isn’t. We’ll fight back.”
            But Pamela Coulis, from Fort Erie in Canada, was worried about rising prices.
            “I think probably the gas will go up even more, and all products, from food to, I don’t know, wood, everything else,” she said.
            Diamond Isinger, who served as a special adviser to former Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, said both countries will suffer from the trade war.
            “It’s going to cause pain and challenge for Canadians and Americans alike, in terms of the actions that, unfortunately, the US has taken as well as Canada’s retaliation. But ultimately this was the way forward; this was the only realistic next step,” she said.
            “Because the US administration responds best, of all the responses that they could have, to all the actions that a government like Canada could take, to strength,” Isinger added.
            “So, we could not simply accept 50 percent tariffs going forward. We had to move forward with our own retaliatory package.”
            In the US, the escalating trade war was met with anger by Democratic lawmakers and governors from border states including Minnesota, New York and Washington, who blamed Trump for triggering chaos that would raise costs for US businesses and families.
            “Needlessly picking fights with our allies and raising prices here at home. That’s Trump’s economic policy in a nutshell,” New York Governor Kathy Hochul posted on X.
            The Business Roundtable, a group of 200 chief executives of leading US corporations, also warned the new tariffs “risk raising costs for American businesses and families”, and urged both governments to resume negotiations.

            Short Link:
            News Code:
            Member Code:

            More News
            Pakistan PM directs petroleum minister to hold talks with oil refineries for reducing diesel prices
            Pakistan PM directs petroleum minister to hold talks with oil refineries for reducing diesel prices
            Iran’s hardline parliament raises concerns with ‘foreign infiltration’ plan
            Iran’s hardline parliament raises concerns with ‘foreign infiltration’ plan
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            • More News
            • In rural Chad, solar kiosks bring healthcare closer
            • Canada to hit US with retaliatory tariffs as trade war escalates
            • Iran warns nearby nations against joining US ‘economic war’ efforts
            • Tropical Storm Moke advances towards Hawaii with heavy rain, strong winds
            • Real Madrid beat Espanyol 2-1 in Jose Mourinho’s first game on return
            • Israeli army and settlers injure several Palestinians across West Bank
            • US Postal Service shares mail-in ballot restrictions despite court ruling
            • Iran grants permission for some Iraqi oil tankers to pass through Hormuz
            • Iran Says US `Economic Warfare` Is a `Recipe for Return to Colonialism`
            • Carney: Canada will enact retaliatory US tariffs starting September 8
            • Israeli strikes kill two and injure others as Gaza attacks continue
            • Envoy says Israel did not give the US notice before strikes on Syrian base
            • Russia Presses On with Attacks on Ukrainian Drone Positions, Ports, and Vessels
            • Iran Rolls Out Offensive Strategy in Face of US Threat
            • Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
            • Seven killed, including two police officers, in UK ‘wrong-side’ car crash
            • ‘Not a small issue’: People deported by US to Liberia face uncertain future
            • Armed men kidnap dozens in attacks on Nigerian villages
            • Trump seeks to block the BBC’s attempt to subpoena Ivanka Trump, Trump Jr
            • South Korea sending first container ship through Arctic route
            • Elche vs Barcelona: La Liga – prediction, team news, lineups
            • Over 100 ex-diplomats urge France, UK to sanction Israel over Palestine
            • What did war with the US reveal about Iran’s weapons capabilities?
            • Israeli drone strike on ‘civilian vehicle’ injures several in Syria
            • Russian Strikes Cripple Ukrainian Airfield and Key Infrastructure


              خبرگزاری آریا

              "Arya News Agency" is an official and independent Iranian news agency with the slogan "Transparent, honest and professional movement in information dissemination."

              Join with Us:

              Sunday, August 23, 2026
              News Groups:
              • Iran
              • World
              • Economy
              • Sports
              • Technology
              Arya Group:
              • مرکز مطالعات استراتژیک آریا
              • شرکت سرزمین هوشمند آریا
              • انتشارات پیشگامان اندیشه آریا
              © - Arya News Agency
              About us| Contact us| RSS| Links| Advanced search