• Arya News AgencyEnglish
    • خبرگزاری آریافارسی
    • وکالة آریا للأنباءالعربیه
Friday, August 21, 2026
  • Home
  • Iran
    • World
      • Economy
        • Sports
          • Technology
            • Archive
            World

            Hong Kong Tiananmen activists found guilty of national security charges

            Friday, August 21, 2026 - 07:34:38
            Hong Kong Tiananmen activists found guilty of national security charges
            Arya News - Activist group says the ‘twisted’ Hong Kong judicial system had long ago decided that the pair were guilty.

            A Hong Kong court has found two pro-democracy activists guilty on national security charges in a trial widely viewed as exemplifying the erosion of freedom of expression in the Chinese city.
            Lee Cheuk-yan, 69, and Chow Hang-tung, 41, former leaders of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China, were found guilty of “incitement to subversion” for their role in organising candlelit vigils to mark Beijing’s deadly 1989 Tiananmen crackdown, in a Hong Kong court on Friday. The two had pleaded not guilty and were charged in 2021.
            Recommended Stories
            list of 3 items list 1 of 3 Hong Kong court rejects appeal in landmark subversion case list 2 of 3 Hong Kong grants police power to demand phone and computer passwords list 3 of 3 UK court convicts two men for spying for Hong Kong, China end of list The pair could face up to 10 years in jail. Sentencing is expected at a later date.
            Prosecutors argued that the pair “endanger[ed] national security in the name of human rights”.
            Chow, a human rights barrister who represented herself, told the court in May that the law itself was on trial.
            Friday’s verdict was “no surprise”, said Mark Clifford, president of the Committee for Freedom in Hong Kong Foundation.
            Hong Kong’s “twisted” judicial system had already decided the pair were guilty in 2021, he said. He described Lee and Chow as “true Chinese patriots” who were silenced because they “spoke truth to power” and “held up a mirror to the Chinese Communist Party”.

            Arya News

            Pro-democracy activists, from left, Lee Cheuk-yan, Cheung Man-kwong and Chow Hang-tung, attend a 2019 vigil for the victims of the Tiananmen Square massacre [File: Tyrone Siu/Reuters] Hong Kong’s crackdown
            For three decades, the candlelight vigil organised by the alliance was the only large-scale public commemoration of the Tiananmen crackdown, drawing tens of thousands of people annually to mourn the victims in China. The event was banned in 2020 during the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic, weeks before Beijing imposed the security law on Hong Kong to quell the 2019 massive antigovernment protests.
            The alliance’s leaders have been behind bars since they were charged.
            Chow and Lee “exposed the Chinese government’s fears of the memory of its own atrocities”, Elaine Pearson, Asia director at Human Rights Watch, said, urging governments around the world to hold Beijing to account for erasing Hong Kong’s freedoms.
            Earlier this year, Jimmy Lai, 78, a media mogul and high-profile rights campaigner in Hong Kong, was found guilty on national security charges and sentenced to 20 years behind bars .
            Led ‘like a dog on a lead’
            In a personal blog published in the days leading up to the verdict, Chow detailed her treatment by correctional services, in which she described being led “like a dog on a lead”, shackled at the wrists, waist and ankles.
            She described a new method of restraint, with specialised handcuffs, as the source of significant pain during her long detention: “One can only ‘choose’ which part of the body shall suffer in turn” due to the bodily contortions forced by the restraints she has been held in.
            Chow is one of the few high-profile political prisoners detained in Hong Kong to continue to speak out publicly against the authorities.
            In June 1989, China’s government sent tanks and soldiers to crush a pro-democracy movement that had installed itself in Beijing’s central Tiananmen Square. Hundreds, possibly thousands, of people were killed by soldiers, and many were injured. Beijing has since sought to censor mention of the incident in China.

            Short Link:
            News Code:
            Member Code:

            More News
            Pakistan PM directs petroleum minister to hold talks with oil refineries for reducing diesel prices
            Pakistan PM directs petroleum minister to hold talks with oil refineries for reducing diesel prices
            Iran’s hardline parliament raises concerns with ‘foreign infiltration’ plan
            Iran’s hardline parliament raises concerns with ‘foreign infiltration’ plan
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            • More News
            • Retailer in China’s Henan province to employ more former prisoners
            • Qixi Festival, China’s equivalent of Valentine’s Day, spurs new consumption trends
            • 90 million litres of glacier water harnessed daily to revive farmlands in India’s Ladakh
            • 90 million litres of glacier water harnessed daily to revive farmlands in India’s Ladakh
            • Qixi Festival, China’s equivalent of Valentine’s Day, spurs new consumption trends
            • EU Refuses to Provide Ukraine With $257Mln for Farmers Over Port Blockade – Reports
            • US Allies Doubt America`s Ability to Fight on Multiple Fronts — Report
            • South Korea’s Gwangju Biennale denies censorship in ‘Taiwan Pavilion’ row
            • India Supreme Court forms committee to examine police brutality allegations during Cockroach Janta protest
            • China’s new marine observation station expands South China Sea reef network
            • Bathing Beijing in watercolour
            • Inside Wat Phra Kaew Wang Na, a rare window into Bangkok’s royal past
            • Nepali teen goes viral after asking ex-PM Dahal to fix her village bridge
            • Thailand rethinks data centre incentives over power and water
            • Thailand rethinks data centre incentives over power and water
            • Hong Kong Tiananmen activists found guilty of national security charges
            • Thailand rethinks data centre incentives over power and water
            • Jakarta police plan to limit protest sites draws backlash
            • Former chairman of China’s Evergrande Group sentenced to life imprisonment
            • South Korea’s dog meat restaurants seek damages over looming ban
            • South Korea’s dog meat restaurants seek damages over looming ban
            • Mongolian team wins gold at iF3 Asian Championship
            • Laos’ Luang Prabang tourism facilities receive ASEAN Standards awards
            • Malaysian employers call for evidence-based minimum wage review
            • Laos’ Luang Prabang tourism facilities receive ASEAN Standards awards


              خبرگزاری آریا

              "Arya News Agency" is an official and independent Iranian news agency with the slogan "Transparent, honest and professional movement in information dissemination."

              Join with Us:

              Friday, August 21, 2026
              News Groups:
              • Iran
              • World
              • Economy
              • Sports
              • Technology
              Arya Group:
              • مرکز مطالعات استراتژیک آریا
              • شرکت سرزمین هوشمند آریا
              • انتشارات پیشگامان اندیشه آریا
              © - Arya News Agency
              About us| Contact us| RSS| Links| Advanced search