• Arya News AgencyEnglish
    • خبرگزاری آریافارسی
    • وکالة آریا للأنباءالعربیه
Friday, August 21, 2026
  • Home
  • Iran
    • World
      • Economy
        • Sports
          • Technology
            • Archive
            World

            US designates Hezbollah an Iranian proxy, sanctions funding network

            Friday, August 21, 2026 - 15:59:27
            US designates Hezbollah an Iranian proxy, sanctions funding network
            Arya News - The US Treasury labels Lebanon-based group ‘an extension’ of the IRGC’s Quds Force and takes aim at financing.

            The United States has changed its designation of Hezbollah to that of an Iranian proxy and announced sanctions against an alleged funding network.
            The re-designation of the Lebanon-based armed group and sanctioning of the financing network, which the US Treasury linked to Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), was announced on Thursday.
            Recommended Stories
            list of 3 items list 1 of 3 ‘Tremendous costs’: Can Trump stop other countries from trading with Iran? list 2 of 3 How China and Russia could hobble Trump’s plans to isolate Iran list 3 of 3 US Treasury secretary says new economic measures will ‘collapse’ Iran end of list The move comes as the US prepares economic measures which it says will crush Iran’s economy and “collapse” the “regime” in Tehran.
            The US Treasury said in a statement that Hezbollah’s legal designation, previously that of a “terrorist organisation”, had been changed to take into account the group’s “service to the Iranian regime under the command of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps”, particularly the elite Quds Force.
            The US designated Hezbollah as a “foreign terrorist organization” in 1997, then updated its label to a “specially designated global terrorist” group in 2001.
            The new re-designation “specifies that Hezbollah is an Iranian proxy, not a stand-alone operation as implied by the previous designation”, a State Department official said.
            “This action builds on years of US designations that have repeatedly documented the operational, financial, and logistical integration between Hizballah and the IRGC-QF,” the official added, calling Hezbollah “an extension” of Iran’s Quds Force.
            “This underscores that Hezbollah operates with little to no regard for Lebanese sovereignty, the Lebanese people, or the Lebanese state.
            “It is not a Lebanese resistance movement,” as Hezbollah describes itself, the official said.
            Both Hezbollah and Iran reject Western involvement in the Middle East and Israel’s military actions across the region.
            ‘Hundreds of millions of dollars’
            The US has already imposed multiple rounds of sanctions on Hezbollah. The new restrictions target 10 people who are allegedly part of a network that transfers cash to the armed group, the Treasury statement said.
            Washington accused the network, which Turkish businessman Yunus Alper Yilmaz is accused of leading, of using couriers travelling on commercial airline flights between Lebanon, Turkiye, the UAE, and Iran to move hundreds of millions of dollars.
            The setup provides “an avenue outside the formal financial system for Hezbollah to obtain foreign currency and evade sanctions”, the statement said.
            Stalled talks
            The re-designation of Hezbollah comes as the US mediates negotiations between Israel and Lebanon, which remain technically at war.
            Hezbollah has refused to take part while the Israeli military continues to occupy parts of southern Lebanon and conduct attacks inside the country.
            Hezbollah began firing rockets at Israel as it launched its war against Iran alongside the US in March. Israel responded with a heavy air campaign and ground invasion that Lebanese authorities say have killed more than 4,300 people.
            Despite the talks having brokered two truce agreements – on June 4 and 26 – the hostilities continue, and Israeli troops remain inside Lebanon.
            Several new attacks were reported on Friday, according to Lebanon’s National News Agency.
            Israeli air attacks, bombing and shelling were reported in the town of al-Mansouri, to the south of Tyre, and Mayfadoun, near Zawtar al-Sharqiyah.
            In a later development, NNA said Israeli forces carried out a massive explosion on Friday afternoon between the towns of Arnoun and Kfar Tibnit.

            Short Link:
            News Code:
            Member Code:

            More News
            Pakistan PM directs petroleum minister to hold talks with oil refineries for reducing diesel prices
            Pakistan PM directs petroleum minister to hold talks with oil refineries for reducing diesel prices
            Iran’s hardline parliament raises concerns with ‘foreign infiltration’ plan
            Iran’s hardline parliament raises concerns with ‘foreign infiltration’ plan
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            • More News
            • 2026 World Cup: Argentina FA fined, four players and one team official suspended for scuffle with Spain after final
            • Several people injured in sword attack at school in Sweden
            • Trump’s ‘economic D-Day’ claims first victim: Not Iran, but US markets
            • South Korea footballers urge safety after extreme heat statistics
            • Liverpool preview: Five key questions heading into 2026-27 season
            • El Nino set to be most intense ‘for over a century’: UK forecasters
            • Ebola outbreak ‘growing faster, ⁠⁠wider’ as DRC death toll passes 2,500: UN
            • US allies in Asia wary as Trump moves military assets for Iran war
            • Why are Hong Kong’s Tiananmen vigil organisers facing prison?
            • China rejects US claim that Myanmar analyst wrongfully detained
            • Can Pakistan Turn Its Coastline Into a $10 Billion Goldmine?
            • Bayern Munich’s Musiala collapsed on-field as a result of medication change
            • How a Swedish Palestinian minister raised controversy with Star of David
            • Why Israeli tenders for illegal E1 West Bank settlement prompted outrage
            • US designates Hezbollah an Iranian proxy, sanctions funding network
            • Pakistan ex-PM Imran Khan’s family accuses gov’t of defying hospital order
            • Russia says ready for ‘new ideas’ on Ukraine war that match Putin’s goals
            • Charter plane crash near Alaskan military site kills 8
            • Serie A: Key talking points heading into the new 2026-27 season
            • Nord Stream bombing suspect to Hollywood fixer: Who is Volodymyr Zhuravlev?
            • Kremlin Calls Nord Stream Pipeline Blasts Act of Terrorist Sabotage Against EU
            • Cyclist Josh Tarling to compete in Tour of Spain after brother’s death
            • Plight of Kosovo Serbs ‘Catastrophic’, Warns Russian Foreign Ministry
            • Swiatek into Cincinnati semis after Rybakina injury
            • Australia charges man for passing Ukrainian military intel to Russia


              خبرگزاری آریا

              "Arya News Agency" is an official and independent Iranian news agency with the slogan "Transparent, honest and professional movement in information dissemination."

              Join with Us:

              Friday, August 21, 2026
              News Groups:
              • Iran
              • World
              • Economy
              • Sports
              • Technology
              Arya Group:
              • مرکز مطالعات استراتژیک آریا
              • شرکت سرزمین هوشمند آریا
              • انتشارات پیشگامان اندیشه آریا
              © - Arya News Agency
              About us| Contact us| RSS| Links| Advanced search