• Arya News AgencyEnglish
    • خبرگزاری آریافارسی
    • وکالة آریا للأنباءالعربیه
Sunday, August 23, 2026
  • Home
  • Iran
    • World
      • Economy
        • Sports
          • Technology
            • Archive
            World

            Landfill collapse in Guinea kills at least 30 people

            Sunday, August 23, 2026 - 21:40:34
            Landfill collapse in Guinea kills at least 30 people
            Arya News - Heavy rains wash over the site, triggering a landslide that buries several shacks.

            A mountainous heap of refuse has collapsed at the largest landfill in Guinea’s capital, Conakry, killing at least 30 people, according to a goverment statement.
            Six others were also seriously injured after heavy rains in the Bbessia district’s Dar-es-salam neighbourhood triggered a landslide at the landfill around 3 am (15:00 GMT) on Sunday, which buried nearby shacks.
            Recommended Stories
            list of 4 items list 1 of 4 Landslide kills 13 at illegal gold mine in Colombia’s southwest list 2 of 4 Landslide at illegal gold mine kills 13 people in Colombia list 3 of 4 Peru rescues people trapped by landslides on highway for nearly a week list 4 of 4 ‘It was a tsunami’: Floods leave death trail in India’s Assam end of list “Significant material and human resources have been deployed to search for any people who may still be buried, to rescue the victims and to recover the bodies,” the government said in the statement.
            Prime Minister Amadou Oury Bah visited the site of the deadly accident, as excavators took part in a search-and-rescue operation through the collapsed landfill under the gaze of a crowd of onlookers.
            Measures have been taken “to ensure medical care for the wounded” and “assistance for those affected by this tragedy”, the government statement said.
            The site was designated for closure on Sunday, according to Lieutenant Colonel Balde Mamadou Bailo, sanitation officer for the Military Engineering Battalion.
            Lancine Sylla, the head of the Dar-es-Salaam suburb, where the incident occurred, said he feared a high death toll. “We have pulled out 18 bodies that were taken to the morgue,” he told the AFP news agency.
            One of Guinea’s main opposition figures, former Prime Minister Cellou Dalein Diallo, who is in exile abroad, called the accident “a tragedy that plunges us into dismay”.
            “This tragedy is all the more worrying because the closure of the dump had been announced for this Sunday, August 23,” he said on Facebook.
            “It is now up to the competent authorities to establish, with full transparency, the circumstances that led to this disaster and to draw all the necessary conclusions,” he added in the statement posted before the release of the death toll.
            The government recently has ordered the expulsion of people near the landfill and safety measures around the site because of a fear of collapses.
            Guinea is led by General Mamadi Doumbouya, who came to power in a coup in 2021 before being elected president in December 2025.

            Short Link:
            News Code:
            Member Code:

            More News
            Pakistan PM directs petroleum minister to hold talks with oil refineries for reducing diesel prices
            Pakistan PM directs petroleum minister to hold talks with oil refineries for reducing diesel prices
            Iran’s hardline parliament raises concerns with ‘foreign infiltration’ plan
            Iran’s hardline parliament raises concerns with ‘foreign infiltration’ plan
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            • More News
            • Diego Maradona`s `Hand of God` ball falls short of breaking records, but sells for $3.35 million at auction
            • Landfill collapse in Guinea kills at least 30 people
            • Thousands displaced as wildfire threatens homes in US state of Nevada
            • Iran war: Top US lawmaker says Republicans can ‘absolutely’ win midterms
            • Erling Haaland debuts new look in Manchester City win, cutting iconic long hair
            • Canada, US and tit-for-tat tariffs: How will they impact their economies?
            • Forever Inscribed in Russia’s History: Putin Pays Tribute to Late Chechnya Leader Akhmat Kadyrov
            • Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan to Sign Treaty on Eternal Friendship
            • Iran Uncovers Vast New Gas Field Exceeding 200 Billion Cubic Meter
            • Baby wanders onto field during Minnesota United-San Jose Earthquakes MLS match
            • Nordic nations ‘have lost confidence in Infantino’, demand FIFA reforms
            • Chelsea preview: Five key talking points for 2026-27 Premier League season
            • Dozens of attacks in southern Thailand wound three people
            • Zelenskyy says wartime elections could ‘destroy’ Ukraine
            • Sydney Marathon organisers not running away from ‘unfortunate’ medal error
            • Can Iran retaliate against countries that join US ‘economic war’?
            • Putin: Ukraine’s State Ideology Built on Neo-Nazism
            • Mourinho decries alleged bullying of Vinicius in Real’s win at Espanyol
            • Israeli politicians focus on foreign threats, ignoring spiralling debt
            • Syria foreign minister says door open for diplomacy with Israel
            • `America Has Waged Economic War Against Itself` — Major General Rezaei
            • Russian Forces Damage 5 Fuel Tanks at Yuzhny Port in Odessa Region - MoD
            • Western Military Aid to Ukraine Is not NATO-Coordinated
            • Israeli air strike near Gaza refugee camp kills one person and injures two
            • Putin, Trump Will Inevitably Meet at APEC Summit in China If Both Attend - Kremlin Aide


              خبرگزاری آریا

              "Arya News Agency" is an official and independent Iranian news agency with the slogan "Transparent, honest and professional movement in information dissemination."

              Join with Us:

              Sunday, August 23, 2026
              News Groups:
              • Iran
              • World
              • Economy
              • Sports
              • Technology
              Arya Group:
              • مرکز مطالعات استراتژیک آریا
              • شرکت سرزمین هوشمند آریا
              • انتشارات پیشگامان اندیشه آریا
              © - Arya News Agency
              About us| Contact us| RSS| Links| Advanced search