• Arya News AgencyEnglish
    • خبرگزاری آریافارسی
    • وکالة آریا للأنباءالعربیه
Monday, August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • Iran
    • World
      • Economy
        • Sports
          • Technology
            • Archive
            World

            Democrats rebuke Trump over scaling back military drills with South Korea

            Monday, August 17, 2026 - 20:15:05
            Democrats rebuke Trump over scaling back military drills with South Korea
            Arya News - Republican Senator Thom Tillis says the decision allows North Korea to provide more support to Russia in Ukraine.

            President Donald Trump is facing pushback over his decision to reduce joint military exercises between the United States and South Korea, with several Democrats accusing him of abandoning Washington’s allies.
            Jack Reed, the top Democrat on the Senate Armed Services Committee, called the decision “inane”, saying that it sends a message that “America’s commitments are negotiable”.
            Recommended Stories
            list of 3 items list 1 of 3 Trump orders US to scale back South Korea military drills list 2 of 3 Trump scales down war games with South Korea: Why it matters list 3 of 3 Trump hails Mecca pact: Can it replace the region’s US security umbrella? end of list “China and Russia are watching how easily this president abandons America’s allies and they will remember it the next time they test us,” Reed said in a statement on Monday.
            Trump announced on Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” joint drills with South Korean forces.
            He suggested that the decision is based on his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, as well as Seoul’s refusal to join the US-Israel war against Iran.
            “I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the denuclearisation of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, ‘No thanks!"” Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform.
            The US president often frames the war with Iran as a denuclearisation push, but Tehran says it does not possess a nuclear weapon.
            The war games with South Korea are part of a decades-long defence partnership between the two countries, which includes the 1953 Mutual Defence Treaty that effectively placed Seoul under Washington’s security umbrella.
            In a factsheet, the US State Department describes the strategic partnership with South Korea as a “linchpin for security and stability in the Indo-Pacific”.
            Democratic Senator Andy Kim accused Trump of disregarding that partnership.
            “Decisions about joint exercises need to be made jointly – and not announced unilaterally by social media,” Kim wrote on X.
            “I will continue to press this administration to strengthen our security, economic, trade and technology ties – which all benefit the American people and the broader Indo-Pacific region.”
            Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal called Trump’s decision “dangerous” for the region’s stability.
            “So – our US wannabe authoritarian ruler has decided to ditch democracy in South Korea for the authoritarian rules in North Korea that he so admires?” Jayapal wrote in a social media post.
            The new policy comes as the US moves away from a focus on the Asia-Pacific region – a doctrine informally dubbed “the pivot to Asia” – during strategic competition with China.
            Trump’s National Security Strategy last year called for shifting US foreign policy resources to the Western Hemisphere, and the war with Iran has put further strain on Washington’s military and diplomatic bandwidth.
            During his first term, Trump met three times with North Korea’s Kim between 2018 and 2019, following escalating tensions between Washington and Pyongyang.
            After the summits, the US president hailed the rapport with Kim, but the talks did not lead to a diplomatic breakthrough or push forward the US policy objective of denuclearising North Korea.
            Pyongyang has also continued its missile testing in defiance of the US and allies, including a launch earlier this month.
            Reducing military exercises with South Korea has provoked a rare Republican criticism of Trump’s policies.
            Republican Senator Thom Tillis argued that the decision allows North Korea to step up its support for Russian President Vladimir Putin amid the war with Ukraine.
            “South Korea has been a solid military ally for over 70 years that possesses exquisite military capabilities,” Tillis wrote on X.
            “Reducing joint exercises with South Korea does nothing more than free up thousands of North Korea’s troops to support Putin’s systematic kidnapping, torture, rape and murder of innocent Ukrainian citizens.”

            Short Link:
            News Code:
            Member Code:

            More News
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            15 bodies recovered in Bangladesh in 21 days, sparking public concern
            15 bodies recovered in Bangladesh in 21 days, sparking public concern
            Tropical storms, heat and drought putting millions of Vietnamese children at risk: UNICEF
            Tropical storms, heat and drought putting millions of Vietnamese children at risk: UNICEF
            • More News
            • Netanyahu’s Likud Party holds primaries ahead of Israel’s general elections
            • NBA reportedly has no evidence Clippers owner Steve Ballmer funneled payments to Kawhi Leonard
            • British PM Burnham duped by White House impostor
            • Somali army clashes with rebel forces for control of key city Baidoa
            • Democrats rebuke Trump over scaling back military drills with South Korea
            • Arab League Head Accuses Netanyahu of Seeking to Derail Gaza Settlement
            • Russian Strikes Driving Ukraine’s Military Industry Into Systemic Crisis
            • Rights group urges FIFA to block Infantino re-election bid over term limits
            • Trump demands Iran ‘put up the white flag of surrender’ as MoU expires
            • Iran Announces $30,000 Bounty for Killing or Capturing Aggressor US Troops
            • Israel, Board of Peace Agree on Hamas Disarmament, Gaza Demilitarization- Netanyahu Office
            • 2026-27 Premier League betting preview, odds: Best bets for title race, Golden Boot and more
            • Iran signals readiness for ‘US ground operations’ as MoU expires
            • Boat sets sail from Bristol, aiming to break Israel’s siege of Gaza
            • Taiwan’s Foxconn reports 35 percent rise in profit on AI demand
            • US consumer inflation slows in July as energy prices briefly retreat
            • Media groups sue Trump over paid access to public social media posts
            • Paramount Skydance mulls CNN sale amid antitrust merger challenge
            • US accuses dozens of countries of helping China avoid Trump’s tariffs
            • Salvage work begins on tanker leaking oil off Oman, risk firm says
            • Taiwan passes defence budget after record delay, retains drone funding
            • CEO pay skyrockets in 2025 amid growing income inequality in the US
            • How a simple lighter has become the backbone of life in Gaza
            • Small-scale projects offer hope for Gaza farmers rebuilding lives
            • Japan’s economy slows, missing growth forecasts


              خبرگزاری آریا

              "Arya News Agency" is an official and independent Iranian news agency with the slogan "Transparent, honest and professional movement in information dissemination."

              Join with Us:

              Monday, August 17, 2026
              News Groups:
              • Iran
              • World
              • Economy
              • Sports
              • Technology
              Arya Group:
              • مرکز مطالعات استراتژیک آریا
              • شرکت سرزمین هوشمند آریا
              • انتشارات پیشگامان اندیشه آریا
              © - Arya News Agency
              About us| Contact us| RSS| Links| Advanced search