• Arya News AgencyEnglish
    • خبرگزاری آریافارسی
    • وکالة آریا للأنباءالعربیه
Tuesday, August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • Iran
    • World
      • Economy
        • Sports
          • Technology
            • Archive
            World

            ‘Truth or fiction’: US trial of Tupac Shakur’s accused killer begins

            Tuesday, August 18, 2026 - 01:49:51
            ‘Truth or fiction’: US trial of Tupac Shakur’s accused killer begins
            Arya News - Prosecutors claim Duane Davis was the ‘on-site commander’ in the murder of Shakur, who died after a drive-by shooting in 1996.

            Rapper Tupac Shakur was killed in an act of revenge ordered by a gang leader, a prosecutor has told jurors, as one of the United States’ most anticipated trials gets under way in Las Vegas, Nevada.
            Prosecutor Binu Palal told jurors that former street gang leader “Keefe D” masterminded the 1996 drive-by shooting of famed hip-hop star Tupac Shakur in retribution for the beating of his nephew during opening statements in the long-unsolved murder trial.
            Duane Davis, 63, is facing charges for allegedly coordinating the drive-by shooting that killed Shakur, known by the stage name 2Pac, near the Las Vegas Strip area in Paradise, Nevada, some three decades ago. Prosecutors allege Davis was the “on-the-ground, on-site commander of the effort to kill Tupac”.
            The 25-year-old California-based rapper quickly became an icon of the hip-hop genre during a short but glittering career in the 1990s, releasing several Billboard-topping albums during his lifetime and posthumously.
            Davis was charged in Nevada’s Clark County on Monday with a single count of murder using a deadly weapon and with the intent to promote, further or assist a criminal gang. He has pleaded not guilty.
            The trial before Judge Carli Kierny is expected to last up to six weeks. The jury was selected last week. The trial may feature testimony from Death Row Records co-founder Marion “Suge” Knight, a former rap mogul who was with Shakur the night he was slain and is now serving a 28-year prison sentence on an unrelated voluntary manslaughter conviction.
            “You will learn that when the opportunity presented itself for retribution, Duane Davis made sure that the shooters were armed and ready to execute their plan. And remarkably, you will learn that from Duane Davis himself,” prosecutor Palal told the jurors in a downtown Las Vegas courthouse, referring to recent public statements by Davis that revived the long-stalled inquiry.

            Arya News

            Duane Davis looks on during opening statements in his murder trial at Clark County District Court at the Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, the US on August 17, 2026 [AFP] US prosecutors are aiming to prove it was Davis who orchestrated Tupac’s killing by supplying the gun, but they are not alleging he pulled the trigger.
            Police said after the 2023 arrest of Davis that he had been a longtime suspect in the killing but that investigators had lacked sufficient admissible evidence to charge him until he began self-implicating via a series of public statements.
            Defence lawyer Michael Sandt said that after 30 ⁠years, investigators still have very little evidence to prove their case.
            “At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself, is what they are saying truth or fiction?” Sandt told the jury.
            Authorities described Davis as the “shot caller” of a frantic plot to avenge the beating of his nephew by Shakur and members of the rapper’s entourage inside the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas on the night of September 7, 1996.
            The violent clash at ⁠the casino allegedly sprang from hostility between two Los Angeles-area street gangs — the South Side Compton Crips, of which Davis was the self-described leader, and Mob Piru, which police say was associated with Knight and Death Row Records. They were in Las Vegas to see a world heavyweight title boxing match between Mike Tyson and Bruce Seldon. The height of the gangs’ operations began at the close of hip-hop’s traditional “Golden Age” in the mid 1990s.
            Davis allegedly obtained the murder weapon and handed it off to two other men in the rear seat of a white Cadillac as they rode around looking for Knight and Shakur’s car following the brawl.
            Shots were fired when Davis and the others caught up with Knight and Shakur’s vehicle. Shakur ⁠was struck four times and died in a hospital six days later. Knight, who had been driving, suffered a minor wound from a bullet fragment that grazed his head.
            Shakur’s death amplified the violent reputation of 1990s “gangsta” rap lyrics and culture, and intensified the already bitter rivalry between East Coast and West Coast artists. His death became a watershed moment in rap history.

            Short Link:
            News Code:
            Member Code:

            More News
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            15 bodies recovered in Bangladesh in 21 days, sparking public concern
            15 bodies recovered in Bangladesh in 21 days, sparking public concern
            Tropical storms, heat and drought putting millions of Vietnamese children at risk: UNICEF
            Tropical storms, heat and drought putting millions of Vietnamese children at risk: UNICEF
            • More News
            • As rubble clears, Colombia begins focusing on recovery after the earthquake
            • ‘Truth or fiction’: US trial of Tupac Shakur’s accused killer begins
            • FIFA COO Kevin Lamour reportedly exits after Gianni Infantino`s private investment plan fails
            • Trump’s approval rating sinks to new low
            • Trump loses second Supreme Court bid over E Jean Carroll sex abuse case
            • Civilians paying price as Israeli military raises stakes in Lebanon: UNIFIL
            • Russian Forces Liberate Two Settlements in Zaporozhye and DPR - MoD
            • Buss family reportedly selling remaining 17.8% ownership stake in Lakers to Josh Kushner and Bob Iger
            • Death toll from capsized ferry in Zimbabwe rises to 92
            • LIV Golf cancels team championship in Michigan, bringing early end to chaotic season
            • Russia maintains election ban on opposition Yabloko, jails deputy head
            • Trump Says He Believes Making Hormuz Strait Part of US Great Idea, Claims US Controls It
            • Syria launches probe into death of ‘White Helmet’ rescuer in police custody
            • Explosion reported at school in Afghan capital Kabul
            • CAIR slams Texas governor’s ‘anti-Muslim stunt’ on airport washing stations
            • Netanyahu’s Likud Party holds primaries ahead of Israel’s general elections
            • NBA reportedly has no evidence Clippers owner Steve Ballmer funneled payments to Kawhi Leonard
            • British PM Burnham duped by White House impostor
            • Somali army clashes with rebel forces for control of key city Baidoa
            • Democrats rebuke Trump over scaling back military drills with South Korea
            • Arab League Head Accuses Netanyahu of Seeking to Derail Gaza Settlement
            • Russian Strikes Driving Ukraine’s Military Industry Into Systemic Crisis
            • Rights group urges FIFA to block Infantino re-election bid over term limits
            • Trump demands Iran ‘put up the white flag of surrender’ as MoU expires
            • Iran Announces $30,000 Bounty for Killing or Capturing Aggressor US Troops


              خبرگزاری آریا

              "Arya News Agency" is an official and independent Iranian news agency with the slogan "Transparent, honest and professional movement in information dissemination."

              Join with Us:

              Tuesday, August 18, 2026
              News Groups:
              • Iran
              • World
              • Economy
              • Sports
              • Technology
              Arya Group:
              • مرکز مطالعات استراتژیک آریا
              • شرکت سرزمین هوشمند آریا
              • انتشارات پیشگامان اندیشه آریا
              © - Arya News Agency
              About us| Contact us| RSS| Links| Advanced search