• Arya News AgencyEnglish
    • خبرگزاری آریافارسی
    • وکالة آریا للأنباءالعربیه
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • Iran
    • World
      • Economy
        • Sports
          • Technology
            • Archive
            World

            ICC condemns US sanctions as ‘flagrant attack’ on court’s independence

            Wednesday, August 19, 2026 - 16:49:22
            ICC condemns US sanctions as ‘flagrant attack’ on court’s independence
            Arya News - The ICC has expressed concern over the Trump administration’s campaign to encourage countries to withdraw from the court, asserting that such countries risked undermining the collective pursuit of justice.

            The International Criminal Court (ICC) has lashed out at the United States after the Trump administration added its chief and one of its senior lawyers to a list of sanctioned individuals, calling the move a “flagrant attack” on the court’s independence.
            The ICC’s reaction on Wednesday came in response to the US imposing sanctions on ICC President Tomoko Akane and senior trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye, as part of its campaign against what it calls a “corrupt and fatally politicised body”.
            Recommended Stories
            list of 3 items list 1 of 3 What drove Venezuela’s decision to leave the ICC? list 2 of 3 Netanyahu vows to go to New York City despite ICC arrest warrant, Mamdani list 3 of 3 ICC body urges Chad and Venezuela to reverse course on withdrawal end of list Akane, a Japanese judge, has served as the ICC’s president since her election in March 2024. Seye is a Senegalese lawyer at the court.
            “These sanctions are a flagrant attack against the independence of an impartial judicial institution,” The Hague-based court said in a statement.
            “Such measures targeting judges, prosecutors and staff … undermine the rule of law.”
            Washington’s latest move follows sanctions it imposed on several ICC officials, largely in response to the court’s investigations involving US ally Israel.
            Japan also objected to the sanctions, saying it has “consistently supported the ICC … in its efforts to prosecute and punish the most serious crimes of concern to the international community and to uphold the rule of law,” Ministry of Foreign Affairs press secretary Toshihiro Kitamura said in a statement.
            Japan is the ICC’s biggest funder and a close US ally.
            The European Union also threw its support behind Akane.
            In twin statements on social media, European Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen and European Council head Antonio Costa said they “stand firmly” with Akane and top officials, who “must be able to act independently and without external pressure”.
            US Secretary of State Marco Rubio earlier said in a statement, without providing examples, that the sanctioned “individuals have directly engaged in efforts by the ICC to investigate, arrest, detain, or prosecute officials whose government has not consented to ICC jurisdiction”.
            The ICC responded in a statement on Tuesday, saying, “When judicial actors are threatened for applying the law, it is the international legal order itself that is placed at risk.”
            Established in 2002, the ICC prosecutes individuals accused of the gravest atrocities and acts as a last resort when countries do not have adequate legal systems to ensure accountability.
            The Trump administration has already imposed sanctions against officials of the ICC, which issued in 2024 an arrest warrant for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over the genocidal war in Gaza.
            The measures bar them from entering the US and from carrying out transactions in the US financial system.
            Last month, Washington launched a major diplomatic offensive against the ICC, accusing it of “threatening” US citizens and calling on partners to withdraw from the body – a move already announced by Chad and Venezuela.
            The ICC expressed concern over those withdrawals, asserting that such countries risked undermining the collective pursuit of justice.
            The US signed the Rome Statute establishing the ICC but never ratified the treaty. Israel and Russia are not ICC members either.
            Last week, four human rights groups, including Human Rights Watch, sued US President Donald Trump in a New York court over his sanctions targeting the ICC, saying the measures block victims of war crimes from pursuing justice.
            In 2023, the ICC issued an arrest warrant for Russian President Vladimir Putin over the war in Ukraine, prompting Moscow to issue its own arrest warrants for senior court officials, including Akane.

            Short Link:
            News Code:
            Member Code:

            More News
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            15 bodies recovered in Bangladesh in 21 days, sparking public concern
            15 bodies recovered in Bangladesh in 21 days, sparking public concern
            Tropical storms, heat and drought putting millions of Vietnamese children at risk: UNICEF
            Tropical storms, heat and drought putting millions of Vietnamese children at risk: UNICEF
            • More News
            • Second Ukrainian national arrested over 2022 Nord Stream pipeline blast
            • Palestinian refugee and two relatives drown off English coast
            • Israel numbers Palestinian detainee foreheads: What we know
            • Zavier Gozo`s Crystal Palace move gives USMNT another young player to watch in Europe
            • Premier League 2026-27 form guide: Title race, prediction, players to watch
            • Trump pauses 50 percent tariffs on Canada in last-minute deal
            • China’s Unitree soars in market debut as investors bet on humanoid robots
            • Mourinho fires Real Madrid shot at Barcelona saying he ‘didn’t need’ Rodri
            • South Korea, US Drills Show Clear Hostility Toward North Korea - Kim Jong Un’s Sister
            • ICC condemns US sanctions as ‘flagrant attack’ on court’s independence
            • Why aid entering Gaza may not reach those who need it
            • Palestinian factions explore broad alliance for November elections
            • UAE trade embargo could shut Iran’s key economic escape route: Here’s why
            • Dozens killed after gold mine collapse in Central African Republic
            • Terrorist Attacks on Russian Infrastructure Cause Damage But no Critical Consequences — Putin
            • Palestinians condemn Israeli step to advance illegal E1 settlement plan
            • In Ukraine, forcible military recruitment efforts escalate into violence
            • Pakistan challenges top court order to move Imran Khan to private hospital
            • Terrorist With Years of Experience: Meet Ukraine`s New Defense Minister
            • Top India court allows passive euthanasia, but few aware of ‘living wills’
            • ‘Tit for tat’: Why is Trump cozying up to North Korea’s Kim Jong Un again?
            • Putin, Mali’s Transitional President Agree to Expand Political Dialogue and Cooperation—Kremlin
            • Manav Suthar takes 10-wicket haul as India beat Sri Lanka in 600th Test
            • Another Suspect in Nord Stream Blast Case Detained in Croatia — German Prosecutor`s Office
            • Diego Maradona’s doctors missed renal red flag, Argentinian court told


              خبرگزاری آریا

              "Arya News Agency" is an official and independent Iranian news agency with the slogan "Transparent, honest and professional movement in information dissemination."

              Join with Us:

              Wednesday, August 19, 2026
              News Groups:
              • Iran
              • World
              • Economy
              • Sports
              • Technology
              Arya Group:
              • مرکز مطالعات استراتژیک آریا
              • شرکت سرزمین هوشمند آریا
              • انتشارات پیشگامان اندیشه آریا
              © - Arya News Agency
              About us| Contact us| RSS| Links| Advanced search