• Arya News AgencyEnglish
    • خبرگزاری آریافارسی
    • وکالة آریا للأنباءالعربیه
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • Iran
    • World
      • Economy
        • Sports
          • Technology
            • Archive
            World

            Israel numbers Palestinian detainee foreheads: What we know

            Wednesday, August 19, 2026 - 19:19:30
            Israel numbers Palestinian detainee foreheads: What we know
            Arya News - Palestinian news outlets reported a man with the number ‘44’ written on his forehead following a raid in Qabatiya.

            The Israeli army has confirmed that soldiers marked Palestinian detainees with numbers on their foreheads during a raid on the town of Qabatiya, south of Jenin in the occupied West Bank earlier this week.
            Palestinian news outlets reported the incident, which took place on Monday.
            Recommended Stories
            list of 3 items list 1 of 3 Israeli strike reported to kill at least six in Gaza City list 2 of 3 US ambassador to Israel calls settler violence ‘terror’ list 3 of 3 Breastfeeding in Gaza: Mothers seek help to provide for their babies end of list According to the Palestinian Wafa news agency, Israeli forces had deployed in several neighbourhoods of Qabatiya, with local sources telling the news agency that soldiers had searched a number of houses and arrested several young men.
            The army also said in a statement that troops had arrested two people during the raid who were suspected of “planning and promoting terrorist plots”.
            However, footage published on Monday from the raid showed a Palestinian man with the number “44” written on his forehead, sparking outrage.
            Here’s what we know.
            What happened?
            One of the detainees, Ahmad al-Hathnawi, who was marked with the number, told Palestinian media that this was the first time that the army had written numbers on his forehead.
            Al-Hathnawi explained that he had been released from Israeli detention 10 days ago for the fourth time, but said that he had never experienced something like this before.
            “It was just interrogation and terrorism, intimidation of the families and the freed detainees,” he said.
            “They are basically trying to send a message that if settlers come into the area, there will be no problems, and that the settlers are going to remain here for a long time,” he added.
            Israeli settlers, often tacitly or overtly facilitated by Israeli troops, have in recent weeks significantly ramped up attacks on Palestinian communities in the occupied West Bank.
            Al-Hathnawi explained that there were about “50 detainees, including blindfolded women, in the house” where he was interrogated.
            But the practice of marking Palestinian detainees with numbers is not new, and was previously reported in April after soldiers had written numbers on the hands of Palestinian women in Jenin. At the time, the Israeli army acknowledged that it was “poor judgement”.
            What has the army said?
            In a statement on Tuesday, the Israeli army told the Times of Israel that soldiers had marked detainees in the occupied West Bank.
            “Commanders made clear to the troops the seriousness of the act, and lessons have been learned,” the military said.
            Knesset lawmaker Ahmad Tibi condemned the marking and called it “shocking and repulsive” in a post on X.
            “This is what dehumanisation looks like: erasing the person and turning them into a number. An image that recalls dark periods and should shock every person,” he wrote.
            What is going on in the West Bank?
            Israeli forces have ramped up their campaign of raids and arrests in the occupied West Bank.
            On Monday, illegal settlers put up tents on Palestinian land to create a new settlement outpost near Ramallah, while another group of settlers continues to besiege the village of Qusra, now for the 11th day.
            The mayor of Qusra told Al Jazeera on Wednesday that he fears the siege of families in the town could represent a “new approach” aimed at forcing Palestinians from their homes.
            He added that the families’ food supplies would run out within two days and that they urgently needed supplies and medicines.
            At the same time, the Palestinian prime minister’s office said on Wednesday that Israeli forces and settlers had carried out “more than 467 attacks against Palestinians in the occupied West Bank in just one week”.
            “At least 75 Palestinian homes and structures were demolished. A relentless escalation of violence, dispossession, and destruction,” the office wrote on X.
            On Sunday, Francesca Albanese, the United Nations special rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territory, told Al Jazeera that settler violence and the ongoing siege in Qusra had reached a “climax”.
            “Israel has outsourced coercion to the settlers and is using them to advance ethnic cleansing,” Albanese said. “This is a crime… This is utter terrorism; these settlers should be investigated and prosecuted.”

            Short Link:
            News Code:
            Member Code:

            More News
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            15 bodies recovered in Bangladesh in 21 days, sparking public concern
            15 bodies recovered in Bangladesh in 21 days, sparking public concern
            Tropical storms, heat and drought putting millions of Vietnamese children at risk: UNICEF
            Tropical storms, heat and drought putting millions of Vietnamese children at risk: UNICEF
            • More News
            • Hamas condemns ‘new war crime’ as Israel kills 10 in crowded Gaza hubs
            • Why extreme heat is much more dangerous for the elderly than we realised
            • US and Canada reach ‘very fair’ trade agreement, Trump says
            • Russian Forces Strike Sites Used to Prepare, Launch Ukrainian Flamingo Missiles — MoD
            • Russia Ranks 4th Economy in World by Purchasing Power Parity – Deputy Prime Minister
            • India rout Pakistan at Hockey World Cup 2026 to qualify for second round
            • Israel admits firing on car carrying Hind Rajab, symbol of Gaza’s suffering
            • Seven decades of US regime change efforts: What have they achieved?
            • Spiderman, Move Over: Russia Rolls Out Mortar-Launched Mesh Trap to Capture Drones
            • Second Ukrainian national arrested over 2022 Nord Stream pipeline blast
            • Palestinian refugee and two relatives drown off English coast
            • Israel numbers Palestinian detainee foreheads: What we know
            • Zavier Gozo`s Crystal Palace move gives USMNT another young player to watch in Europe
            • Premier League 2026-27 form guide: Title race, prediction, players to watch
            • Trump pauses 50 percent tariffs on Canada in last-minute deal
            • China’s Unitree soars in market debut as investors bet on humanoid robots
            • Mourinho fires Real Madrid shot at Barcelona saying he ‘didn’t need’ Rodri
            • South Korea, US Drills Show Clear Hostility Toward North Korea - Kim Jong Un’s Sister
            • ICC condemns US sanctions as ‘flagrant attack’ on court’s independence
            • Why aid entering Gaza may not reach those who need it
            • Palestinian factions explore broad alliance for November elections
            • UAE trade embargo could shut Iran’s key economic escape route: Here’s why
            • Dozens killed after gold mine collapse in Central African Republic
            • Terrorist Attacks on Russian Infrastructure Cause Damage But no Critical Consequences — Putin
            • Palestinians condemn Israeli step to advance illegal E1 settlement plan


              خبرگزاری آریا

              "Arya News Agency" is an official and independent Iranian news agency with the slogan "Transparent, honest and professional movement in information dissemination."

              Join with Us:

              Wednesday, August 19, 2026
              News Groups:
              • Iran
              • World
              • Economy
              • Sports
              • Technology
              Arya Group:
              • مرکز مطالعات استراتژیک آریا
              • شرکت سرزمین هوشمند آریا
              • انتشارات پیشگامان اندیشه آریا
              © - Arya News Agency
              About us| Contact us| RSS| Links| Advanced search