• Arya News AgencyEnglish
    • خبرگزاری آریافارسی
    • وکالة آریا للأنباءالعربیه
Friday, August 21, 2026
  • Home
  • Iran
    • World
      • Economy
        • Sports
          • Technology
            • Archive
            Economy

            Closure of al-Makha port leaves workers and traders fearing for the future

            Friday, August 21, 2026 - 19:26:30
            Closure of al-Makha port leaves workers and traders fearing for the future
            Arya News - Houthi attacks on Yemen’s al-Makha port forced it to suspend operations, leaving workers jobless and forcing traders to pay higher transportation costs for goods.

            Taiz, Yemen – Mohammed Al-Homaidi, a labourer in his 30s, has been working at the al-Makha (Mocha) port in western Yemen since its reopening in 2021.
            Even though he was reliant on a daily wage, his earnings provided a decent standard of living for his family.
            Recommended Stories
            list of 4 items list 1 of 4 Yemen’s Houthis launch ballistic missile attacks on al-Makha and Marib list 2 of 4 Yemen’s government forces attack Houthis amid renewed shelling of Marib list 3 of 4 Houthi attacks kill seven in Yemen, refinery targeted in Saudi Arabia list 4 of 4 New Houthi missile and drone attacks kill seven in Yemen’s al-Makha end of list But things changed on August 9, when the Red Sea port was targeted by Houthi attacks that killed at least seven people.
            With the conflict between the Yemeni government and Houthi forces escalating after a long-standing truce collapsed last month , finding daily work was no longer his priority, but his safety.
            “It was around 12:30pm when the explosions [were heard] at the seaport, which was full of workers at the time. I couldn’t understand what was happening, and we couldn’t flee because the explosions were continuous,” Al-Homaidi told Al Jazeera. “After about an hour and a half, I ran outside the port and didn’t stop until I reached home.”
            Thirty more people were injured in the barrage of Houthi drone and missile strikes that targeted the port and surrounding areas.
            Houthi forces have continued to target the port and surrounding areas on a near-daily basis, resulting in dozens of deaths and injuries.
            On August 11, the Houthis targeted a vessel at al-Makha port, killing three Pakistani crew members and injuring eight other seamen.
            Three days later, the Houthis targeted two cargo ships at the Red Sea port, damaging the facility’s remaining infrastructure.
            Due to the repeated Houthi attacks, operations were suspended last Friday to avoid putting the port’s 1,500 workers’ lives in danger.
            For Al-Homaidi and other workers whose salaries were dependent on their daily labour, the port’s closure means a new struggle to put bread on the table.
            “I am happy that we are safe at home today, but we are jobless now because we rely on daily wages,” Al-Homaidi said. “I don’t have any savings, and our food at home is running out. How can I provide basic needs for my family?”
            Life beyond the seaport
            Al-Homaidi also has experience working in al-Makha’s other major industry: fishing. But dangerous attacks around the Red Sea mean this is not an option for him and his colleagues at the port either.
            Local fishermen have been ordered by local authorities not to go out to sea until further notice – but with money running low, a group of fishermen still ventured out on August 11. Their families are continuing to desperately search for them after they failed to return home.
            With near-daily Houthi attacks on al-Makha, public beaches, parks, the coastal walkway and other areas have also been closed.
            Families avoid going outside due to the threats of Houthi drones and missiles, and a strict nightly curfew for motorcycles is in place from 11pm to 6am.
            Compounding the community’s suffering is a complete blackout of landline and mobile communications. Residents who can afford it use Starlink satellite internet. But for most Yemenis in al-Makha, there is no way to reach the outside world.

            Arya News

            Houthi attacks have stopped fishermen in al-Makha from going out to sea [File: Al Jazeera] Back to square one
            Abdulmalik Al-Sharabi, director of al-Makha port, confirmed to Al Jazeera that repeated Houthi attacks have forced the port to halt operations. At least six merchant vessels carrying commercial cargo have been struck since the most recent bout of violence, resulting in casualties among civilians and seamen.
            “More than 1,500 port workers lost their jobs, while 16 were killed and 22 injured as a result of the Houthi attacks,” Al-Sharabi told Al Jazeera English.
            Missile strikes have specifically targeted civilian infrastructure at the port and in surrounding areas, he said.
            “The attacks targeted commercial and service areas, workshops, equipment, and the port pier, destroying it to the point that it ceased operations,” Al-Sharabi noted.
            Operations across 30 shipping and customs clearance agencies have ground to a halt, affecting workers.
            The port, which was closed between 2015 and 2021, serves as an economic lifeline for Taiz governorate as well as other Yemeni economic hubs such as Lahj, Hodeidah and Ibb. With it now closed, traders there will be forced to route imports via the port of Aden, driving up logistics costs.
            “We were happy to have a seaport with such operational capacity, but today we are back to square one,” Al-Sharabi said.

            Arya News

            Fishermen and traders are worried for their future in al-Makha, where 1,500 have lost jobs after Houthi attacks killed 16 fishermen and forced the port to shut down [File: Al Jazeera] No money, no food
            Abdulraoof Abdullah, a fisherman in his 50s from al-Makha, has no source of income for his eight family members other than the fish he caught in the Red Sea. Due to the instability off al-Makha’s coast, he has not been out to sea since August 11.
            “We are out of work now, and our homes are almost empty of food. We try to secure meals each day either by going into debt or asking friends for help,” he told Al Jazeera English.
            With the port closed and food imports reduced, Abdullah said he expects prices to rise in the market, and he has no choice “but to pray to Allah.”
            “We don’t have money to buy food for today, so how could we possibly have money to stockpile food?” he added.
            “Most residents in Makha are fishermen, and we are currently out of work,” Abdullah said. “When we have jobs, we can buy food; otherwise, we will have to displace to another area where we can find work to support our families.”
            Trading woes
            Rashad, a local trader in al-Makha who preferred to be identified only by his first name, was importing goods through shipping agencies at the port since 2021. Given that his warehouses are just a few kilometres from the port, this was by far the cheapest option.
            “Our goods are currently held up in Djibouti, and shipping costs have surged due to ongoing tension in the Red Sea,” Rashad told Al Jazeera. “Furthermore, we were just informed that our cargo will now be redirected to Aden, meaning we will have to pay significantly more for overland transport from Aden to al-Makha.”
            With the warehouses still stocked with food from earlier orders, prices have not yet risen. But if the port remains closed, traders will be forced to increase prices on future shipments arriving via Aden.
            “I am a resident of al-Makha before I am a trader. Any price increase directly impacts my family and neighbours – something I desperately want to avoid. But unless al-Makha seaport reopens soon, price hikes will be inevitable,” he added.
            Although Rashad didn’t have any cargo on the ships that were recently hit in Houthi attacks, he said he feels empathy for other traders who suffered financial losses.
            “Some people assume traders are financially comfortable, but we are in a state of constant worry. We track our shipments for months until they safely reach our warehouses,” he said.
            “No one can imagine the devastation felt by traders who lost everything at al-Makha port. The harsh reality of this war has impacted every single Yemeni, and we are no exception.”

            Short Link:
            News Code:
            Member Code:

            More News
            Bank of Japan rate hike will help households with high savings, burden those with high debt
            Bank of Japan rate hike will help households with high savings, burden those with high debt
            Trump administration seeks to halt air pollution lawsuit against Musk’s xAI
            Trump administration seeks to halt air pollution lawsuit against Musk’s xAI
            US stock market jumps as US-Iran deal stirs hopes for end to energy turmoil
            US stock market jumps as US-Iran deal stirs hopes for end to energy turmoil
            China urges US to treat Chinese companies fairly, halt blacklist
            China urges US to treat Chinese companies fairly, halt blacklist
            OpenAI says China-based actors stoking opposition to AI data centres
            OpenAI says China-based actors stoking opposition to AI data centres
            India’s automobile retail sales rise 9.55% in May; two-wheeler EV share surges
            India’s automobile retail sales rise 9.55% in May; two-wheeler EV share surges
            Photos of sheep and goats for sale at a West Bank livestock market
            Photos of sheep and goats for sale at a West Bank livestock market
            Child recruitment in Colombia surges 300% in five years
            Child recruitment in Colombia surges 300% in five years
            Facing a mercurial Trump, countries scramble to forge new alliances
            Facing a mercurial Trump, countries scramble to forge new alliances
            • More News
            • Arsenal sign Konsa from Villa as Premier League holders bolster defence
            • Israeli army, settlers kill 2 Palestinians in separate West Bank incidents
            • Why Iran is threatening Europe’s ‘strategically important’ southeast
            • Russia Offers Global Buyers its Garpia-A1E World’s Longest-Reach Kamikaze Drone
            • England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
            • Ukraine’s Shakhtar to use ex-Russian-owned Chelsea as Champions League home
            • Jannik Sinner to miss US Open tennis major due to knee injury
            • Ukraine sanctions popular Russian cartoon ‘Masha and the Bear’
            • What to know about the Freedom 250 Grand Prix, Trump’s capital car race
            • Bessent Threatens Iran`s Trade Partners with `Economic Oblivion`
            • Argentina’s Paredes gets 10-game ban for World Cup final scuffle with Spain
            • Russian expert warns of impending social crisis as Ukraine death toll rises
            • Brazil launches AI supercomputer push while balancing US and Chinese tech
            • New York mayor Mamdani sues to block $10,000 teaching aide bonuses
            • Closure of al-Makha port leaves workers and traders fearing for the future
            • Russia Rains Fire on Danube Ports to Pull the Plug on Ukraine’s Last Western Arms Dock – Expert
            • 2026 World Cup: Argentina FA fined, 4 players and 1 team official suspended for scuffle with Spain after final
            • Djibouti Football Federation accused of misusing funds from FIFA
            • Fury says fight with Joshua looks unlikely with venue yet to be agreed
            • Manchester City’s Maresca admits he needs time as Bournemouth visit in EPL
            • 2026 World Cup: Argentina FA fined, four players and one team official suspended for scuffle with Spain after final
            • Several people injured in sword attack at school in Sweden
            • Trump’s ‘economic D-Day’ claims first victim: Not Iran, but US markets
            • South Korea footballers urge safety after extreme heat statistics
            • Liverpool preview: Five key questions heading into 2026-27 season


              خبرگزاری آریا

              "Arya News Agency" is an official and independent Iranian news agency with the slogan "Transparent, honest and professional movement in information dissemination."

              Join with Us:

              Friday, August 21, 2026
              News Groups:
              • Iran
              • World
              • Economy
              • Sports
              • Technology
              Arya Group:
              • مرکز مطالعات استراتژیک آریا
              • شرکت سرزمین هوشمند آریا
              • انتشارات پیشگامان اندیشه آریا
              © - Arya News Agency
              About us| Contact us| RSS| Links| Advanced search