• Arya News AgencyEnglish
    • خبرگزاری آریافارسی
    • وکالة آریا للأنباءالعربیه
Friday, August 21, 2026
  • Home
  • Iran
    • World
      • Economy
        • Sports
          • Technology
            • Archive
            World

            What to know about the Freedom 250 Grand Prix, Trump’s capital car race

            Friday, August 21, 2026 - 20:28:38
            What to know about the Freedom 250 Grand Prix, Trump’s capital car race
            Arya News - The president says the 147-lap race will be an event ‘like no other’ as drivers zip through the National Mall in Washington, DC.

            Washington, DC – Over the next two days, a portion of the United States capital will transform into a seven-turn professional-grade track for the city’s first-ever IndyCar race.
            The Freedom 250 Grand Prix, championed by President Donald Trump, is one of several special events held to commemorate the country’s 250th birthday.
            Recommended Stories
            list of 3 items list 1 of 3 America250: How the US heatwave will affect Fourth of July celebrations list 2 of 3 A politically charged holiday: The US celebrates its 250th anniversary list 3 of 3 White nationalists march on Washington DC ahead of Freedom 250 celebrations end of list But the race, which has been billed as a means of “celebrating American greatness”, is not coming without a heavy dose of criticism.
            Questions have been raised about potential disruptions to life in the capital, as well as Trump’s ties to the event’s sponsor, the transportation company Penske.
            Here’s what you need to know about the weekend’s automobile tournament:

            Arya News

            President Donald Trump speaks at the White House during a showcase for the Freedom 250 Grand Prix auto race in Washington, DC [File: Alex Brandon/AP] Why is this taking place?
            In January, Trump signed an executive order establishing the race as a means of celebrating the country’s 250th anniversary and its history of motorsport.
            “This will be like no other race ever,” Trump said in July. “It’ll be one of the most unforgettable racing events the world has ever seen.”
            Trump, who has described himself as a racing fan, has participated in several high-profile motorsport events since returning to office in 2025.
            Last year, Trump attended NASCAR’s Daytona 500 race, after serving as the grand marshal during his first term. A few months later, in April 2025, he hosted NASCAR and IndyCar drivers at the White House.
            Have similar events been held?
            The Grand Prix is one of several sporting events being held in honour of the country’s 250th anniversary.
            Earlier this month, as part of the festivities, high-school athletes were invited to participate in the inaugural Patriot Games, broadcast on the sport channel ESPN. And in June, Trump hosted an Ultimate Fighting Championship event on the White House lawn, dubbed the UFC Freedom 250.
            But members of the Trump administration have compared the race to early moments in US history as a means of highlighting its historic nature.
            Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy said Washington, DC, has not seen a competition like this since Thomas Jefferson, the third US president, helped mark the country’s 25th birthday in 1801 with horse races.
            Is the IndyCar race part of Freedom 250?
            Not officially. While the Grand Prix bears similar branding to Trump’s Freedom 250 initiative, they are separate entities.
            Trump’s Freedom 250 task force was a public-private partnership that put together events like the Patriot Games and the Great American State Fair, which took place in June on the National Mall.
            But critics argued that the task force undermined America250, a separate bipartisan organisation created by the US Congress to arrange festivities for the anniversary. There was also a backlash to the perception that Freedom 250 would be a vehicle for Trump’s political agenda.
            The Grand Prix, meanwhile, is being “administered by INDYCAR in coordination with the America 250 Task Force”, according to the District of Columbia government website. IndyCar is a subsidiary of Penske.

            Arya News

            Protective panels surround a sculpture outside the National Gallery of Art ahead of the Freedom 250 Grand Prix in Washington, DC, on Monday [Jim Lo Scalzo/EPA] What response has the race received?
            The race is arguably the most ambitious of all the events Trump has hosted for America’s 250th celebration. It has also drawn concern from preservation experts.
            A temporary track for the race will run 2.7 kilometres, or 1.7 miles, including through the National Mall. Part of the race will therefore take place near several buildings that contain priceless historical works and documents.
            Immediately adjacent to the motor speedway will be the National Gallery of Art, featuring paintings spanning the history of Western civilisation, and the National Archives, which includes the original Declaration of Independence and US Constitution.
            With race cars set to pass by at speeds nearing 321km/h (200mph), the National Gallery has boarded up some windows on its building and put barriers around several of its outdoor works.
            A preservationist group has also warned that historic New Deal-era murals in the nearby Cohen Federal Building could be damaged “due to vibratory impacts”.
            A Freedom 250 Grand Prix spokesperson told The Associated Press (AP) news agency that IndyCar has “tremendous respect for the history and the structures” surrounding the track.
            But the race’s impacts are being felt by Washington’s residents and travellers as well.
            In the days leading up to the race, commuters were plagued by hours-long congestion caused by the closure of some of the city’s popular thoroughfares as organisers prepared for the event.
            The Federal Aviation Administration also announced that flights at the nearby Ronald Reagan Washington national airport will be paused for three hours on Sunday so flyovers associated with the event can take place.

            Arya News

            Workers set up barriers ahead of the Freedom 250 Grand Prix on the National Mall in Washington, DC, on Wednesday [AFP] Who’s paying for this?
            With an expected price tag of $35m, the 147-lap race will be among the most expensive on IndyCar’s calendar.
            Bud Denker, the president of Penske Corporation and chairman of the race, told AP his company will pay for the “vast majority” of the event, while the city will cover some “very limited” costs to repave streets and seal manhole covers.
            A spokesperson for Washington, DC’s transportation department, German Vigil, told Al Jazeera the city “will be getting reimbursed” by the Grand Prix for those repairs.
            The Freedom 250 Grand Prix website explains that the event is supported “by a group of key partners”, including Harbinger, a production company with ties to at least one previous Trump-hosted event.
            CNN previously reported that the firm was hired to solicit corporate sponsors for the 2025 White House Easter Egg Roll.
            The race’s website identifies Harbinger as an “official event partner” that will “coordinate logistics and the fan experience” for the Grand Prix. A spokesperson for Harbinger told Al Jazeera it was only handling “production”.
            Several of the race’s sponsors have government contracts, including the aerospace firm Boeing and the telecommunications firm Verizon.
            One, the building manufacturer WillScot, was in discussion with the second Trump administration about leasing mobile structures to house detainees slated for deportation, according to the publication Semafor.
            Another, the aircraft company Gulfstream, was the recipient of nearly $200m in a controversial deal Trump’s Department of Homeland Security undertook to buy luxury jets for executive travel.
            WillScot and Gulfstream did not return Al Jazeera’s request for comment.

            Arya News

            Fox Sports CEO Eric Shanks speaks with US Secretary of Transportation Sean Duffy on the Freedom 250 Grand Prix track in Washington, DC, on Thursday [Finn Gomez/Getty Images via AFP] How much does it cost to attend?
            A reported 100,000 general admission tickets have already been given away for free, while premium viewing of the race comes at a steep price.
            Tickets for the Champions Club, which offers views of the racetrack, cost $5,000 per person, while luxury suites are priced upwards of $250,000.
            Will Trump attend?
            Media reports have indicated that Trump himself is likely to attend the event.
            The New York Post reported that the president may take a lap on Sunday around the track in his motorcade, to kick off the last day of the race.
            But Trump’s involvement raises concerns, including from IndyCar drivers, that the event could be politicised. McLaren Racing’s Pato O’Ward, IndyCar’s only full-time racer from Mexico, has said it would be “ironic” if he won, given the president’s aggressive political stance towards immigration and Mexico itself.

            Short Link:
            News Code:
            Member Code:

            More News
            Pakistan PM directs petroleum minister to hold talks with oil refineries for reducing diesel prices
            Pakistan PM directs petroleum minister to hold talks with oil refineries for reducing diesel prices
            Iran’s hardline parliament raises concerns with ‘foreign infiltration’ plan
            Iran’s hardline parliament raises concerns with ‘foreign infiltration’ plan
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            • More News
            • Russian drone attack on busy shopping centre kills 14 in Ukraine
            • Arsenal sign Konsa from Villa as Premier League holders bolster defence
            • Israeli army, settlers kill 2 Palestinians in separate West Bank incidents
            • Why Iran is threatening Europe’s ‘strategically important’ southeast
            • Russia Offers Global Buyers its Garpia-A1E World’s Longest-Reach Kamikaze Drone
            • England thrash Pakistan by an innings and 103 runs in first Test
            • Ukraine’s Shakhtar to use ex-Russian-owned Chelsea as Champions League home
            • Jannik Sinner to miss US Open tennis major due to knee injury
            • Ukraine sanctions popular Russian cartoon ‘Masha and the Bear’
            • What to know about the Freedom 250 Grand Prix, Trump’s capital car race
            • Bessent Threatens Iran`s Trade Partners with `Economic Oblivion`
            • Argentina’s Paredes gets 10-game ban for World Cup final scuffle with Spain
            • Russian expert warns of impending social crisis as Ukraine death toll rises
            • Brazil launches AI supercomputer push while balancing US and Chinese tech
            • New York mayor Mamdani sues to block $10,000 teaching aide bonuses
            • Closure of al-Makha port leaves workers and traders fearing for the future
            • Russia Rains Fire on Danube Ports to Pull the Plug on Ukraine’s Last Western Arms Dock – Expert
            • 2026 World Cup: Argentina FA fined, 4 players and 1 team official suspended for scuffle with Spain after final
            • Djibouti Football Federation accused of misusing funds from FIFA
            • Fury says fight with Joshua looks unlikely with venue yet to be agreed
            • Manchester City’s Maresca admits he needs time as Bournemouth visit in EPL
            • 2026 World Cup: Argentina FA fined, four players and one team official suspended for scuffle with Spain after final
            • Several people injured in sword attack at school in Sweden
            • Trump’s ‘economic D-Day’ claims first victim: Not Iran, but US markets
            • South Korea footballers urge safety after extreme heat statistics


              خبرگزاری آریا

              "Arya News Agency" is an official and independent Iranian news agency with the slogan "Transparent, honest and professional movement in information dissemination."

              Join with Us:

              Friday, August 21, 2026
              News Groups:
              • Iran
              • World
              • Economy
              • Sports
              • Technology
              Arya Group:
              • مرکز مطالعات استراتژیک آریا
              • شرکت سرزمین هوشمند آریا
              • انتشارات پیشگامان اندیشه آریا
              © - Arya News Agency
              About us| Contact us| RSS| Links| Advanced search