• Arya News AgencyEnglish
    • خبرگزاری آریافارسی
    • وکالة آریا للأنباءالعربیه
Monday, August 24, 2026
  • Home
  • Iran
    • World
      • Economy
        • Sports
          • Technology
            • Archive
            Sports

            FIFA president Gianni Infantino says he received `warm welcome` in visit to Caribbean tournament despite Concacaf president asking him not to attend

            Monday, August 24, 2026 - 00:24:28
            FIFA president Gianni Infantino says he received `warm welcome` in visit to Caribbean tournament despite Concacaf president asking him not to attend
            Arya News - Concacaf president Victor Montagliani reportedly told the embattled FIFA president to consider skipping the youth event in the Dominican Republic, saying that it would `undermine` the tournament.

            Despite increasing pressure from the soccer world to resign amid the fallout from the failed FIFA Forward Enterprise venture , FIFA president Gianni Infantino is continuing on with his duties, seemingly unfazed.
            On Saturday, Infantino met with member associations in the Caribbean at a FIFA-sponsored youth tournament in the Dominican Republic — despite being asked not to go. The competition, the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Under-14 Challenge Series, is a youth tournament supported by the association"s soccer development program FIFA Forward.
            In a statement released by FIFA on Saturday, Infantino said that he received "a very, very warm welcome" in the D.R. He said that he got to "discuss projects, ideas" with the CFU nations, and seemingly hinted at his own recent controversy.
            "It"s important to engage, to have a dialogue, to express views and opinions – a lot (has) been happening in the last few weeks and it"s important that you hear, you listen and you"re able to, also, express what your feelings are. So, I think overall, a positive, very, very happy with all the support I get here," Infantino said in the statement.
            Though normally such a visit would be routine, Infantino"s popularity has taken a significant dip since the president"s plans to sell private investment stakes in the World Cup went public. The project, known as FIFA Forward Enterprise, was scrapped just days after it was first reported.
            According to multiple reports, Concacaf president Victor Montagliani wrote to Infantino on Friday asking the embattled FIFA president to reconsider attending the event, saying that his presence will detract from the tournament.
            "I believe that considering the governance crisis surrounding FIFA as a result of your controversial FIFA Forward Enterprise proposal, the media will focus on this situation, which will unfortunately significantly take away from the technical nature of the CFU youth competition," Montagliani wrote in the letter, via The Athletic . "As such, I respectfully ask you in the name of football to reconsider your attendance as it will unfortunately undermine the technical nature of this important youth development activity."
            Infantino ignored that request, and made a public appearance anyway. Montagliani is expected to attend the tournament this weekend as well, though it"s unclear if the two will interact.
            Concacaf has been among the confederations that has vocally opposed Infantino"s plan, joining UEFA and AFC in a statement earlier this month to ask Infantino to step down. Montagliani, as the president of Concacaf, was among the six officials who signed the " open letter " to the football world.
            Reactions to Infantino"s plan were swift and angry, and multiple FIFA officials have exited in the wake of the plan. Among the most drastic responses is UEFA, who is threatening to boycott future World Cups .
            Though some individual federations have already expressed calls for Infantino to resign, more joined in this weekend. On Sunday, a group of Nordic federations — Sweden , Norway , Finland, Denmark , Iceland and the Faroe Island — released a statement saying they have "lost confidence" in Infantino and calling for a "comprehensive independent review" of FIFA"s governance.
            Notably, Montagliani, a Canadian-born official who is also a FIFA vice president, is one of the names floated to challenge Infantino at next year"s elections.

            Short Link:
            News Code:
            Member Code:

            More News
            Iran’s Ghalenoei, Taremi decry US treatment before first World Cup game
            Iran’s Ghalenoei, Taremi decry US treatment before first World Cup game
            Uruguay squad lands in US after flight delay ahead of World Cup opener
            Uruguay squad lands in US after flight delay ahead of World Cup opener
            India beat Pakistan by 64 runs to open Women’s T20 World Cup campaign
            India beat Pakistan by 64 runs to open Women’s T20 World Cup campaign
            Vinicius drags low-key Brazil level against dominant Morocco at World Cup
            Vinicius drags low-key Brazil level against dominant Morocco at World Cup
            England training equipment stolen ahead of squad’s arrival in Kansas City
            England training equipment stolen ahead of squad’s arrival in Kansas City
            Topuria shoves Gaethje by Lincoln Memorial ahead of White House UFC event
            Topuria shoves Gaethje by Lincoln Memorial ahead of White House UFC event
            South Korea vs Czechia: World Cup group match – teams, start and lineups
            South Korea vs Czechia: World Cup group match – teams, start and lineups
            Messi comes off the bench to score in Argentina’s final World Cup warm-up
            Messi comes off the bench to score in Argentina’s final World Cup warm-up
            Anthony Joshua’s Nigeria car crash motivated me to return: Tyson Fury
            Anthony Joshua’s Nigeria car crash motivated me to return: Tyson Fury
            • More News
            • Raphinha and Lopez score braces as Barcelona trounce Elche 5-0
            • US envoy Tom Barrack retracts comment that Syria’s Golan is occupied
            • Iran Vows Retaliation for US Economic War
            • FIFA president Gianni Infantino says he received `warm welcome` in visit to Caribbean tournament despite Concacaf president asking him not to attend
            • Diego Maradona`s `Hand of God` ball falls short of breaking records, but sells for $3.35 million at auction
            • Landfill collapse in Guinea kills at least 30 people
            • Thousands displaced as wildfire threatens homes in US state of Nevada
            • Iran war: Top US lawmaker says Republicans can ‘absolutely’ win midterms
            • Erling Haaland debuts new look in Manchester City win, cutting iconic long hair
            • Canada, US and tit-for-tat tariffs: How will they impact their economies?
            • Forever Inscribed in Russia’s History: Putin Pays Tribute to Late Chechnya Leader Akhmat Kadyrov
            • Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan to Sign Treaty on Eternal Friendship
            • Iran Uncovers Vast New Gas Field Exceeding 200 Billion Cubic Meter
            • Baby wanders onto field during Minnesota United-San Jose Earthquakes MLS match
            • Nordic nations ‘have lost confidence in Infantino’, demand FIFA reforms
            • Chelsea preview: Five key talking points for 2026-27 Premier League season
            • Dozens of attacks in southern Thailand wound three people
            • Zelenskyy says wartime elections could ‘destroy’ Ukraine
            • Sydney Marathon organisers not running away from ‘unfortunate’ medal error
            • Can Iran retaliate against countries that join US ‘economic war’?
            • Putin: Ukraine’s State Ideology Built on Neo-Nazism
            • Mourinho decries alleged bullying of Vinicius in Real’s win at Espanyol
            • Israeli politicians focus on foreign threats, ignoring spiralling debt
            • Syria foreign minister says door open for diplomacy with Israel
            • `America Has Waged Economic War Against Itself` — Major General Rezaei


              خبرگزاری آریا

              "Arya News Agency" is an official and independent Iranian news agency with the slogan "Transparent, honest and professional movement in information dissemination."

              Join with Us:

              Monday, August 24, 2026
              News Groups:
              • Iran
              • World
              • Economy
              • Sports
              • Technology
              Arya Group:
              • مرکز مطالعات استراتژیک آریا
              • شرکت سرزمین هوشمند آریا
              • انتشارات پیشگامان اندیشه آریا
              © - Arya News Agency
              About us| Contact us| RSS| Links| Advanced search