• Arya News AgencyEnglish
    • خبرگزاری آریافارسی
    • وکالة آریا للأنباءالعربیه
Monday, August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • Iran
    • World
      • Economy
        • Sports
          • Technology
            • Archive
            World

            Thieves steal Renaissance artworks in museum heist during Italian holiday

            Monday, August 17, 2026 - 08:09:35
            Thieves steal Renaissance artworks in museum heist during Italian holiday
            Arya News - As Messina celebrated the Sicilian holiday of Ferragosto, thieves struck the MuMe museum to steal the masterworks by Antonello da Messina.

            Thieves have stolen four Renaissance masterworks by Antonello da Messina valued at up to 80 million euros ($93m) from the MuMe Regional Interdisciplinary Museum in the Sicilian city of Messina in Italy.
            Cultural officials and Italian media reported the theft on Sunday, saying the heist occurred at about 9:50pm (19:50 GMT) the day before, during Sicily’s major Ferragosto holiday.
            Recommended Stories
            list of 3 items list 1 of 3 Italian police recover stolen paintings worth over $10m list 2 of 3 Four more suspects arrested over Louvre heist list 3 of 3 Fourth suspect charged in Louvre jewel heist investigation end of list Italian news outlet Il Giornale dell’Arte said that the perpetrators had exploited the citywide distraction of the traditional Vara procession, which drew police and large crowds to central Messina.
            Italian daily Corriere della Sera reported that the thieves cut through metal perimeter fencing along Viale Annunziata to gain access to the grounds. They then forced open a side door to enter the gallery halls. Once inside, the group breached an armoured glass display case to extract a small, double-sided tempera panel dating back to 1465-1474.
            The portable devotional piece features the Virgin and Child with a Franciscan Monk on its front and Christ in Pieta on its reverse. Originally part of the Wilhelm Soldan collection from 1930, it was acquired by the Sicilian region at a Christie’s auction in 2003 following its formal attribution to Antonello.
            The perpetrators also dismantled all five remaining tempera-on-wood panels of the historic San Gregorio Polyptych. Commissioned in 1473 by Abbess Fabria Cirino for the monastery of Santa Maria, which was subsequently destroyed in Messina’s 1908 earthquake, the altarpiece stands as the only surviving masterpiece by Antonello that remained in his hometown. The thieves made off with three key sections of the piece.
            Italian outlet Repubblica reported that the thieves abandoned the remaining two panels depicting Saint Benedict and Saint Gregory resting against a wall near the museum grounds.
            ‘A real movie-style heist like at the Louvre’
            “We are devastated by what happened. They were two of Antonello da Messina’s most important and best-known works,” museum director Marisa Mercurio told Italian news agency ANSA.
            Local Culture Councillor Enzo Caruso told outlet Il Tirreno: “Nobody in Messina could have imagined a real movie-style heist like at the Louvre.”
            Caruso said that international interest in Antonello’s oeuvre had expanded after Italy’s Culture Ministry purchased his Ecce Homo painting for $14.9m earlier in the year.
            Lynda Albertson, CEO of the ARCA art crimes research association, told La Repubblica that “stealing an Antonello may be far easier than selling one” given the high visibility and historic footprint of the stolen panels.
            She explained that high-profile art of this kind rarely gets sold, often spending years traded within the criminal underworld as leverage for other illegal activities.
            Born in Sicily around the year 1430, Antonello da Messina stands as one of the defining masters of the early Italian Renaissance. Because few of his works survive today, his surviving paintings are considered irreplaceable cultural treasures.
            The theft follows a separate case days earlier in Parma , northern Italy, where police recovered three stolen works by Renoir, Cezanne and Matisse valued at roughly $11.5m.

            Short Link:
            News Code:
            Member Code:

            More News
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            15 bodies recovered in Bangladesh in 21 days, sparking public concern
            15 bodies recovered in Bangladesh in 21 days, sparking public concern
            Tropical storms, heat and drought putting millions of Vietnamese children at risk: UNICEF
            Tropical storms, heat and drought putting millions of Vietnamese children at risk: UNICEF
            • More News
            • Cameroon dominates Malawi to win first Women’s Africa Cup of Nations title
            • At least six dead in ‘stampede-like’ incident at India temple
            • South Korea President Lee promotes ‘K-Culture’, weapons, to accelerate ‘pragmatic diplomacy’
            • US transshipment crackdown puts eight Thai sectors on alert
            • US transshipment crackdown puts eight Thai sectors on alert
            • Bou Meng, one of seven known survivors from Cambodia’s notorious Tuol Sleng Prison, passes away at 85
            • Nepal’s faith is finding a new interface
            • How Nepal manages unidentified and unclaimed bodies
            • Pakistan’s goods transporters postpone strike for 40 days in ‘broader national interest’
            • Foreign nationals legally entering or residing in Vietnam eligible for electronic ID accounts
            • US President Trump’s H-1B visa crackdown is starting to drive tech talent back to India, China
            • Pakistan’s goods transporters postpone strike for 40 days in ‘broader national interest’
            • Thieves steal Renaissance artworks in museum heist during Italian holiday
            • Trump Orders Reduction of US-South Korea Military Drills
            • Celebrated Hong Kong director Stanley Kwan reflects on iconic film 35 years later
            • Foreign buyers turn to Thai property for high rental yields
            • Non-resident Nepalis keen on domestic ventures, but cite bureaucratic hurdles and safety fears
            • Mongolian CSOs urge stronger rangeland protection, responsible land management ahead of COP17
            • Fresh floods hit India’s Odisha as rainfall remains 27% above normal, 515,000 people affected
            • Foreign buyers turn to Thai property for high rental yields
            • Non-resident Nepalis keen on domestic ventures, but cite bureaucratic hurdles and safety fears
            • Bangladesh could change cricket forever, again
            • Malaysian government makes long-awaited decision to abolish the Universities and University Colleges Act 1971
            • Nepal’s labour market caught between jobless workers and worker shortages
            • Food items continue to become costlier in India even as wholesale price inflation eases marginally in July


              خبرگزاری آریا

              "Arya News Agency" is an official and independent Iranian news agency with the slogan "Transparent, honest and professional movement in information dissemination."

              Join with Us:

              Monday, August 17, 2026
              News Groups:
              • Iran
              • World
              • Economy
              • Sports
              • Technology
              Arya Group:
              • مرکز مطالعات استراتژیک آریا
              • شرکت سرزمین هوشمند آریا
              • انتشارات پیشگامان اندیشه آریا
              © - Arya News Agency
              About us| Contact us| RSS| Links| Advanced search