• Arya News AgencyEnglish
    • خبرگزاری آریافارسی
    • وکالة آریا للأنباءالعربیه
Monday, August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • Iran
    • World
      • Economy
        • Sports
          • Technology
            • Archive
            World

            Pakistan’s goods transporters postpone strike for 40 days in ‘broader national interest’

            Monday, August 17, 2026 - 08:12:24
            Pakistan’s goods transporters postpone strike for 40 days in ‘broader national interest’
            Arya News - The country’s goods transporters announced on Sunday that they would postpone their strike for 40 days in “broader national interest."

            ISLAMABAD – The country’s goods transporters announced on Sunday that they would postpone their strike for 40 days in “broader national interest”.
            The goods transporters had announced a countrywide wheel-jam strike on Aug 8 after talks with the government failed over the daily fixing of petrol and diesel prices, among other issues.
            A crucial round of talks between senior federal and provincial government officials and transporters’ representatives was scheduled to be held at the Governor House in Karachi today to resolve the issue, after negotiations between the two sides ended without a resolution on Tuesday.
            All Pakistan Goods Transport Ittehad President Malik Shehbaz Awan said the association had decided, after consultations, to postpone the strike for 40 days in the “broader national interest”.
            “Some of our issues have been resolved immediately. For those requiring cabinet approval, 15 to 20 days have been given,” he said.
            Awan said the government had asked for 15 days to address their demand regarding daily fuel price changes, adding that transporters would prefer fuel prices that shifted on a fortnightly or monthly basis.
            He added that meetings between the government and transporters’ committees would continue.
            “We have been assured that overloading will be controlled in accordance with the law on axle loads,” he said.
            Awan asserted that the peaceful protest had not been stopped anywhere during the nine-day period. “Our 50-member committee had called for the strike,” he said.
            He said their demands had been accepted “to a certain extent” and that the committees formed to address them would continue their consultations.
            On withholding tax, he said they had been assured by the communications minister that he would raise the issue with the finance minister and that a committee would be formed to resolve it.
            Meanwhile, he said the Sindh government had assured them that operations would be shifted to a new truck stand within a year.
            The association’s president claimed that six of their eight demands concerning the Punjab government had also been accepted, while committees had been formed to address the remaining two issues.
            Meanwhile, speaking to the media, Sindh Governor Nihal Hashmi said both sides — the government and transporters — had “generously agreed with each other’s points of view”.
            “Pakistan, as well as the entire region, is passing through an extraordinary situation,” he said.
            The governor added that, in the prevailing situation, all stakeholders must work through mutual consultation and understanding and seek solutions to issues while keeping the national interest at the forefront.
            Federal Minister for Communications Abdul Aleem Khan said the government had succeeded in resolving many of the transporters’ issues.
            “Some issues will take time to resolve, and committees have been formed to address them,” he said.
            He hoped that the issues that remained unresolved would be settled in the near future.
            “We will continue with the same spirit that is being demonstrated for Pakistan.”
            Karachi Mayor Murtaza Wahab also assured the transporters that the Sindh government would work to resolve their issues.
            He added some matters would have to be addressed in coordination with the Karachi Port Trust, while others would require legislative changes to be taken up at the relevant forum.
            Among the key demands of the transporters is the uniform enforcement of axle-load limits across the country and permission for 10-wheel vehicles to carry up to 35 tonnes.
            They have also demanded reductions in diesel prices and toll taxes, besides seeking relief in withholding tax to ease the financial burden on the transport sector.
            The transporters have also called for the withdrawal of customs provisions that, according to the association, allow authorities to confiscate vehicles carrying goods found to be in violation of customs laws.
            Other demands include the withdrawal of the Punjab Highway Patrol’s powers to issue challans to commercial vehicles, an end to what the association described as unnecessary challans and excessive fines on motorways and highways, and measures to facilitate the issuance of heavy transport vehicle licences to drivers.
            Read More:
            Pakistan’s transporters’ strike threatens industry, exports as movement of over 400,000 goods-carrying vehicles suspended

            Short Link:
            News Code:
            Member Code:

            More News
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Seoul mayor faces 18-month prison request over campaign polls
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Pressure mounts to halt, review Indonesia President Prabowo’s free meals programme
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Young dancers seek freedom in Korea’s growing street dance scene
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            Over 1,000 Malaysians in 2km queue for jobs with starting pay of $1.1k
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            After detention reform, migrants in South Korea still face locked doors and long waits
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            Steeped in culture: Chinese tea wins over Moscow
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            New faces coming for polls in Malaysia’s Johor
            15 bodies recovered in Bangladesh in 21 days, sparking public concern
            15 bodies recovered in Bangladesh in 21 days, sparking public concern
            Tropical storms, heat and drought putting millions of Vietnamese children at risk: UNICEF
            Tropical storms, heat and drought putting millions of Vietnamese children at risk: UNICEF
            • More News
            • CSTO Secretary General Notes Danger of Europe`s Militarization, Bellicose Rhetoric
            • Russia-Indonesia Ties Successfully Thriving, Putin Emphasizes
            • Trump Welcomes Defense Pact of Turkiye, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan
            • US Should Return to Shuttle Diplomacy on Ukraine, Ex-White House Aide Believes
            • Rodri headed to Barcelona after Man City accepts transfer bid
            • Cameroon dominates Malawi to win first Women’s Africa Cup of Nations title
            • At least six dead in ‘stampede-like’ incident at India temple
            • South Korea President Lee promotes ‘K-Culture’, weapons, to accelerate ‘pragmatic diplomacy’
            • US transshipment crackdown puts eight Thai sectors on alert
            • US transshipment crackdown puts eight Thai sectors on alert
            • Bou Meng, one of seven known survivors from Cambodia’s notorious Tuol Sleng Prison, passes away at 85
            • Nepal’s faith is finding a new interface
            • How Nepal manages unidentified and unclaimed bodies
            • Pakistan’s goods transporters postpone strike for 40 days in ‘broader national interest’
            • Foreign nationals legally entering or residing in Vietnam eligible for electronic ID accounts
            • US President Trump’s H-1B visa crackdown is starting to drive tech talent back to India, China
            • Pakistan’s goods transporters postpone strike for 40 days in ‘broader national interest’
            • Thieves steal Renaissance artworks in museum heist during Italian holiday
            • Trump Orders Reduction of US-South Korea Military Drills
            • Celebrated Hong Kong director Stanley Kwan reflects on iconic film 35 years later
            • Foreign buyers turn to Thai property for high rental yields
            • Non-resident Nepalis keen on domestic ventures, but cite bureaucratic hurdles and safety fears
            • Mongolian CSOs urge stronger rangeland protection, responsible land management ahead of COP17
            • Fresh floods hit India’s Odisha as rainfall remains 27% above normal, 515,000 people affected
            • Foreign buyers turn to Thai property for high rental yields


              خبرگزاری آریا

              "Arya News Agency" is an official and independent Iranian news agency with the slogan "Transparent, honest and professional movement in information dissemination."

              Join with Us:

              Monday, August 17, 2026
              News Groups:
              • Iran
              • World
              • Economy
              • Sports
              • Technology
              Arya Group:
              • مرکز مطالعات استراتژیک آریا
              • شرکت سرزمین هوشمند آریا
              • انتشارات پیشگامان اندیشه آریا
              © - Arya News Agency
              About us| Contact us| RSS| Links| Advanced search